Medical Certificate Insurance

Do both the regional and major airlines offer insurance in the event you lose your medical certificate for some reason? Is it a cost the airline covers or is that the pilot’s responsibility? Is it like long-term disability where it covers a percentage of your income or more?



Every airline has different contracts with their pilot groups, but in my experience all three airlines that I have worked for offer long term disability insurance. At United it basically pays $8,000 per month, tax free. We contribute some amount of money to the premiums and so does the company.


Thanks Chris!


Alpa (the Airline Pilot Assoc aka the union) also offers supplemental “loss of license/medical” insurance which is pretty popular.


Thanks Adam!

That’s actually great news! I never knew that was available. Another concern alleviated :grin: