Medical Class Qualifications

I have currently a second class certification. How restricted am if I am unable to obtain a 1st class? In the beginning of this process I was denied a waiver due to previous medical issues in the past but was able to obtain 2nd class after going back for it. I got discharged from the Marine Corps due to having asthma and passing out. I haven’t had any problems or issues since getting out and it’s been over 3 years. Is it possible to be able to obtain a 1st class due to all that?

Zachary,

Each class medical listed in FAR 61.23 describes what operations a pilot can and cannot do. As I understand it, a second class medical is good enough to conduct all operations except exercise part 121 PIC operations. However, airlines require that all pilots hold a first class medical regardless.

If you want to obtain a first class medical certificate you need to discuss your options with your AME.

Tory

Semper Fi! My dad did 22 years in the Corps. What was your MOS? Anyways the mentors will definitely give a better answer to this but a first class medical is required to exercise an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) license. So the 121 world is kinda out the window. I have heard that some 135 companies don’t require an ATP or a first class but the keyword to that sentence is “Heard” so I wouldn’t take that to the bank and cash it in without checking. I usually would leave these questions for the mentors to answer since they have more experience but when I saw that you were in the Marine Corps, I couldn’t help but pay my respect to you. Again Semper Fi Sir!

Zachery,

Short answer is very restricted. You need to talk to your AME and see what you need to do to get your First Class.

Adam

Thanks Tory I appreciate that very helpful!!

1 Like

Also would I be able to become A Private Jet Pilot without a 1st class?

Zachary,

Legaly you could BUT if I were the owner of a $65mil G650 and you were flying my family around I’d require a First Class medical. In other words the person or company employing you can require whatever they like.

Adam

Gotcha. Thank you Adam.

Zach,

As Adam said, technically yes, but I would caution you against moving forward until you’re certain that you’ll be willing to live with the decision if you decide to go through with this. There are no guarantees. Just because it’s possible to fly for a part 135 operation with a 2nd class medical doesn’t mean that it’s likely. Even if you call around and discover that some companies currently allow it, that could change tomorrow.

Tory

Thanks Tory. I’ll definitely be getting in contact with my AME to see what all I need to do in order to obtain a 1st class.

Thank you Mr Vincent. And I was Infantry during my time in. Trying to get into Aviation, hopefully I’ll be able to obtain a 1st class medical cert.

When your 1st Class Medical application was first denied, did the FAA send you instructions on what you needed to do in order for them to reconsider approving one? That’s usually what happens in these situations. Was this not the case?

Tory

They did. I got my paper work from the marine corps and went back to AME and sent the paper work back to the FAA then a couple months later came back saying I was approved for a 2nd class medical.

1 Like

But also didn’t realize that 1st class was pretty much a must have until a couple days ago and how restricted I would be with a 2nd class.