Medical considerations

Hello,
What are some deal breakers on the medical exam? I hear you cannot have experienced a heart attack, or have certain heart conditions. Does family history of heart issues effect your chances? If your vision isn’t 20/20 can it be corrected by contacts/glasses/surgery?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Dave,

As far as vision goes it must be 20/20 corrected meaning glasses or contacts are fine. As for the rest the following is from the FAA’s website:

What medical conditions does the FAA consider disqualifying?
**The following conditions are listed in the regulations as disqualifying medical conditions; however, in many cases when the condition is adequately controlled, the FAA will issue medical certification contingent on periodic reports. **

**Angina pectoris **
**Bipolar disease **
**Cardiac valve replacement **
**Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant **
**Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications **
**Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause **
**Epilepsy **
**Heart replacement **
**Myocardial infarction **
**Permanent cardiac pacemaker **
**Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts **
**Psychosis **
**Substance abuse **
**Substance dependence **
**Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause. **

Other conditions not specifically listed in the regulations are also disqualifying. For further information refer to the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners

As always we recommend you contact an AME (Aviation Medical Examiner) should you have specific concerns. You can also check out the AOPA (AOPA.org). They have tons of good info.

Adam

1 Like

David,

I’m not even going to try to answer this one, because I am not a doctor. I
know that there are some things that require further testing, but I don’t
know what the “deal breakers” are. You would have to talk to an Aviation
Medical Examiner (AME) about that one.

Tory

Hey Adam…I’ve cardio myopathy,with an ICD in my chest, doctor controlled,on beta blocker,no diabetes,blood pressure under control,can I get any class??I was truck driver for 20years, requirements have changed to allow me to work,is it so with pilot license? I’d like to be private pilot

Welcome Lance,

Sorry to hear about your experience involving that accident and glad to hear you have things under control. Since none of us are AME (Aviation Medical Examiners) that is a hard question to ask. You are going to want to contact an AME via Find an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) (faa.gov).

Brady

Ok,I’ve tried getting signed into medx,the faa required medical cert area for certification,just to locate ame…I’m having no luck and getting tap danced around.do you have a phone number for this, that I can call??

Lance,

There’s no need to log into MedXpress to find an AME. Simply use this link:

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Adam

1 Like

In using that link,it’s asking in a drop down bar,to put in abbreviation for all kinds of things that I haven’t a clue

It is also not locating for Riverside California 92595, which is lake Elsinore,Riverside county.also hard to believe no ame exist in inland empire

Lance,
It’s just asking you type the of designers you’re looking for. Select “AME”. It’s Aviation medical examiners in your area

-Hannah

I did.its giving me nothing,which is hard to believe,I’m in inland empire, California…:flushed::thinking::no_mouth:

Lance,

Try just searching by the county…here’s what I found for “Riverside, CA”

Brady

Thank you,that helps so much