Medical exams

Hello all, I have a general question about medical exams for becoming a commercial pilot. My son already had the first medical certificate for the private pilot license, and I believe there are two more medical exams to come. It seems to me it might be good to anticipate any potential problems in this area.

What are the medical issues that could potentially disqualify a pilot from completing his training or prevent him from advancing in his career? If he has any of these, I think it would be most useful to know sooner rather than later. Thanks for your help.

Lora,

That’s not quite how medical certificates work. Pilots renew their medicals annually, biannually…depends on what they need it for and their age.

The FAA considers the following conditions disqualifying:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response6/

Tory

Lora,

Your son needs to have a first class medical, he does not need to get a second class along the way, just go straight to a first class. This is what the airlines require.

The list of medical issues that can disable a pilot is lengthy, but generally speaking, those in good health should be fine. It is best that your son address any issues or questions directly with the medical examiner as they are the experts on all such things.

Chris

Lora,

If you’re asking the question I suspect you have a concern? There are many many potential disqualifiers )more than we could list) and you’re right, sooner is always better than later. If you have a general question about a specific concern please ask or you can always contact an AME for professional advice.

Adam

Thank you all for your replies. I have every reason to believe there should be no problem. I just wouldn’t want him to be blindsided by going through all his training and then find out there is something that could be a problem. That is what I meant that it is good to know sooner rather than later, being proactive. Thanks again.

Lora,

That’s why you get your First Class medical BEFORE you start all your training, not after. People often say “well I only need my Third Class, why bother with a First Class early?”. That’s why which is also why ATP won’t even accept you as a student until you obtain your First Class.

Adam

Lora,

You should should obtain a first class medical right away, that way there will be no issues.

Chris