Medical Question about Medication

I am 18 and take an anti-depressant (Zoloft) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I see that Zoloft is an approved medication. However, what steps do I need to take in order to see if I can even get approval. I spoke with an AME office, and they stated that rarely do they see anyone get approved while taking any anti-depressants. Can anyone help?


There are many threads on the subject but you need to contact a HIMS AME. They know and understand the process.



I don’t have any first hand knowledge about Zoloft. Unfortunately, if you want to get to the bottom of this you will need to apply for your medical certificate and see what happens. Most likely your application will get deferred. You may even be directed to see a HIMS AME. Whatever happens the only way to know is to let the process guide you, which can be expensive and time consuming.


AOPA can help guide you as well.
I believe they have articles on this.
Also, if you sign up for Premium membership ($100 I think) you can get a free consultation with their Aviation medical lawyers. It also includes insurance coverage of some legal fees in case you have an issue getting medical

This is the advice I always give when students have a possible medical issue.

Chris F

1 Like