Medical transport

I’m curious to see if there is any demand for medical transport. Currently I’ve been working in nursing and have my doctorate. With all the COVID and needing a change I was hoping to see if medical transporting would be a nice jump and still be around medicine. I’m a little on the older side but have many years left in me!:wink:
Thanks for the info!
Suzan

Welcome Suzan!

I haven’t noticed or heard of an increase in demand for air ambulance jobs. The cargo and private jet industries are the two that I hear most about being in higher demand. That said there will always be a need for air ambulance. However, those jobs typically require a few thousand hours of experience, including turbine PIC time, in order to be eligible for the position.

What I would like to know is if you’ve taken any intro flights yet? Before moving any further on deciding if aviation is a good fit, we recommend that everyone take at least one flight.

Tory

Suzan,

To my knowledge there’s always some demand for air ambulance pilots, it’s just not a big one. There simply aren’t that many service providers out there and they also don’t pay very well.

I second Tory your first step would be an intro flight or lesson to see if it’s something you’d really enjoy.

Adam

Suzan,

The process to become a medical transport pilot is the same as it is to become an airline pilot. The licenses and rating are the same. I am not very familiar with that side of aviation, but it does seem like those jobs are frequently in demand.

Chris

In 2018 my Ex and I looked into time building by flying for a medical transport company flying Sabreliners.

All that was required was 500hrs and Commercial Multi to apply. Had to pay for online course, they would pay for rest of training to become an SIC. I believe pay was either salary of about $45k or per trip of maybe $400/day.

The training was self study online stuff mostly. We ended up deciding not to do it mostly because we were trying to fly more to get to airlines. The job was to sit in hangar or at home and wait for the phone to ring, then fly.

I think most medical transports are older planes like that and CJs. It definitely looks like a fun job but I bet every company is different. This company was small in South FL.

I know some companies do really long flights. My Cusin was transported on one from CA to NJ after having a medical incident.

Chris F

Thank you all for the information! This has definitely given me some things to think about and try.