Mid-life crisis?

Good evening all.
I recently joined this forum on a recommendation from a friend. Tons of great discussions and topics.
I wanted to put this question out to ya’ll for some insight and guidance.
I was in the Army for 10 years, flying drones. When I got out, to continue flying as a civilian contractor I was required to have my PPL, so used GI bill to get trained and continued through instrument. I then worked on my hour build to 250 for commercial, but got deployed the week before I was starting.
Fast forward 10 years and 4 deployments to afghanistan, and here I am, @ 250 hours TT and no GI bill any longer to finish.
I am looking into ATP to finish my commercial, and flow into CFI & CFII.
I just really wanted to hear if that is a possibility, or do they shy away from previously trained pilots after a ten year “manned” flying hiatus, now in my early 40’s?
This has been my passion and my wife is willing to sacrifice my income, to allow me to peruse my dreams, but I don’t want to make the commitment and sign up for large student debt bill if at my age it’s not possible.
I appreciate any insight or comments. Pretty thick skinned working for military for 20+ years total, so give it to me straight if it’s a pipe dream.

Michael,

ATP has two starting points, zero hours and credit for private. If you started with credit for private, you would go through the instrument training again, although you would not take the checkride. There would be no reduction in the course price. To be honest, going through he instrument portion again might be a good idea after having ten years off from flying.

There is no reason at all that this is a pipe dream for you, you simply need to get current and get the rest of your licenses.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
I had seen some stuff about having to enter at instrument again, but no FAA check, since it’s a one time requirement, and as you suggested, I think I’m really just paying for an extended IPC…lol, which would definitely help, and just continue to add to my total hours, which as we all know, is the ultimate goal, so glad to hear it is very much in the realm of normalcy.
Does help to hear too, that age means nothing. I kinda hoped as long as I can get to a regional before 45, I can offer 20 years of service and it wouldn’t be frowned upon.

1 Like

Is it best to log into ATP, or just drive over to the training center here locally (KC) and speak to someone in person?

And one additional question, is it worth doing the 100 hour multi add-on? Just looking at the pricing, and it looks to be just over 100k including the 100 hour multi, rather than 70-80k for normal course with PPL credit? Just would like some real input, not just a money grab attempt from school

Michael,

You could head over to the training center and get a tour and intro flight scheduled or just call and schedule both for a later date.

The 100-hr multi program is good for two people:

1. Those with unlimited finances
  2. Those looking to go a less traditional route with their aviation career. If you’d rather build time doing 135 jobs or fly for 135 charter carriers, you’ll want as much multi time as possible. Those jobs are more competitive thus needing more valuable multi time on your resume.

The 100 hr program is not necessary if you plan on building time as a CFI and going to the regionals.

Hannah

2 Likes

That makes absolute sense. Thanks for the input. It will really come down to what you said, if I plan on CFI until 1500, then disregard.
If 135 peaks my interest, then possibly worth it to get from 750-1500 if I choose that route.
Thanks for taking the time to read and share!!

Michael,

I would absolutely call and schedule a tour before going to the training center. If you just randomly show up, there is a very good chance that everybody could be busy flying or doing simulator work and you might not learn as much as you would like. Call the main number and schedule a tour so that you will have somebody available to answer all of your questions.

There are no money grab attempts here, if you hang around this forum long enough you will see that. If your goal is to go to the airlines and not the corporate world, I would absolutely recommend the 25 hour multi program. You will accomplish the exact same ratings for a significant cost savings. If my son or daughter was going to ATP, I would recommend the 25 hour program for them.

Chris

Michael,

Get a tour established with the Admissions team for your nearest training center, that way like Chris mentioned, someone can be there and get you answers for your questions while showing you around. The training center environment is an experience that you can get to meet students face-to-face and instructors, getting the firsthand experience at what it’s like to be a student at ATP. Sometimes when we have walk-in tours at the training center I’m located at, it can be difficult to showcase our fleet if everyone is flying, scheduling a tour can help arrange a meet-up.

Admissions contact is (904)-595-7950.

Brady