Month one completed

Hey Javid, I am enjoying it. Mesa Gateway is one of ATP’s flagship locations, its huge. I came here for a few reasons; the weather here in Phoenix (despite the heat) is consistently some of the best in the country. The cost of living here vs. where I was before is significantly less, I am unemployed for the duration of school and wanted to make the process as inexpensive and stress-free as possible. In the nearly 4 months I’ve been here I’ve never once had to cancel due to a maintenance issue on an aircraft, they have so many that if your aircraft is grounded, they have another ready. I earned my private elsewhere and this was a big problem during my training at that school so I wanted to ensure this was never the case. Now aside from that, because this location is so large I see new people nearly daily it seems like. They do the CFI standardization here, and every week we have several new students joining us. So the experience is somewhat less personal perhaps than another location where they only have a few instructors and students. I really only have a few months left and it feels like I just started, it’s been a very positive experience thus far and the only thing I regret is that I didn’t do it sooner.

Robert, thanks for taking the time to respond. I lived in Mesa for about 8 months after I got out of the military in 2014. I really enjoyed my time out there so going back there to attend ATP is definitely something I’m gonna be considering. I bet you head out to ASU in Tempe every break you get huh? Awesome vibes out there man!

I’m a bit of an “old fart” when compared to the college kids out at ASU, but occasionally I enjoy that part of town! Lol Phoenix has a lot to offer and I’m happy here for sure. Just curious but what part of the country are you in now? I hope whatever decision you make, it involves getting back in the air!

Hi Javid,

I may be responding a little late but want you to know the Mesa location is a great experience for me. I started my private March 20 and everything moves as fast or slower if you like, meaning you can fly extra on weekends or choose to study on some days rather than fly. Most students and instructors are more than willing to help answer questions or share experiences. The program director is encouraging us to make good decisions and seems to have our back when any problems arrive. I’m happy with the progression as I’m about to start solo flight.

Felecia, no worries, thanks for taking the time to respond at all lol. Like you, I’ll be starting out with 0 hours so I’m really doing my research before I commit to a particular ATP location. Along with your review, I’ve read and heard nothing but good things about the Mesa location, so definitely considering it. BTW, congrats on starting solo, that’s awesome! I bet you’re suoer stoked huh?

Hey Robert, I feel you man lol, it’s all good. I’m working in southern Cali right now, trying to get my degree finished up while putting away every last penny towards my “ATP fund” :airplane::grimacing:

Sounds like you’ve got a plan! Excellent. I came to Phoenix from San Diego myself. I thought I’d miss Cali more, but turns out I’m enjoying Phoenix much more than I anticipated.

Yep Robert, just trying to stay focused on the goal and not get swayed by the lack of funds at the present moment lol. I know you said you came in with your PPL, but did you also accomplish all of the written exams before starting at ATP?

Javid, I did not take any written exams prior to starting. I did start studying for the instrument written several weeks prior to my start date. Now being less than week away from another checkride and still having to take my commercial written and my FOI written before long I can feel the pressure a bit. You just have to treat it like it’s your job to study.

Hence why we advise you bang them out before :slight_smile:

Adam

2 Likes

Lol touche’

Hey Robert, haven’t seen you post in a while brother. Was just wondering how your training is coming along out there, if you don’t mind sharing.

Javid new post is up under student experiences