Moving Along!

Hello everyone!

I started my journey at ATP from zero-time at KLGB in August 2020. Since then, I have had three consecutive checkride passes and I am now officially a commercial pilot as of yesterday! The commercial stage was a great experience. It built confidence in my abilities all while getting to see some awesome locations. I remember browsing these forums when I was a sophomore in high school and now looking back, time has moved so quickly! I am about to begin ground training for CFI Academy in a few days and I am super excited. Being 19 years old it feels very intimidating, but I am excited to have students under my “wing” one day

8 Likes

Ryan,

That is absolutely fantastic! Congratulations! Welcome being a professional pilot. When are you expecting to finish up the program?

Chris

1 Like

Excited for you, Ryan! Thanks for the update. Let us know how we can help.

Tory

1 Like

Kudos Ryan! Keep up the great work!

Adam

1 Like

Congrats Ryan! Great picture! You’ll be flying that one day!

-Hannah

1 Like

Ryan,

Congrats on the CSEL and three consecutive checkride passes! Carry that momentum forward and continue working hard, it will pay off!

CFI Academy is fast-paced, remember to take some personal time during it to give your mind a break, drinking plenty of water, and eating food. Keep us in the loop for how CFI Academy and CFI Initial Checkride goes. :small_airplane:

Brady

1 Like

Chris,

Thank you! I am expected to finish the program in June. Very excited.

Ryan

Brady,

Thank you for those tips. I really lucked out having two other roommates in the student housing that just completed CFI Academy so I have a good idea of what to expect now. I will keep the forums updated!

Ryan

Wow this is really cool! I am 22 and will be enrolling in ATP Kansas City next summer hopefully! I’m super excited. That was a pretty short time frame there. What was it like?

Thank you!

It is pretty accelerated, but after putting in all the time and studying, it is a great feeling getting handed that certificate! It can be stressful at times, but I recommend establishing a good support system with other students. This has helped me a ton. I was grateful to have a few other students near the same progress as me. Having different insights and being able to quiz/help each other can be very helpful. You’ll have a great time! It really does fly by. I came from Wichita, KS to Long Beach, CA to train but I am actually looking into instructing in Kansas City! Might see you around!

Ryan

1 Like

I can’t believe just less than a month ago I was sharing my success with my commercial checkride and as of today I am now an official flight instructor! It still hasn’t hit me but I am beyond excited to take on students of my own. The desire to share my knowledge is strong and I can’t wait to get started.

CFI Academy definitely had its hurdles but all of the effort put in feels so rewarding! Shoutout to KIWA!

3 Likes

Awesome Ryan!

Not only now can you get paid to fly but you have the tools to do so!

Congrats!

Adam

You did it, Ryan! I remember the feeling! Congratulations!

Tory

Congrats Ryan! That’s such a huge accomplishment. Buckle up though because it’s a pretty fast ride to the end of the program!

-Hannah

Ryan,

Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment! I always thought that was one of the hardest check rides. Thank you for the update.

Chris

Ryan,

Congratulations on passing your CFI SE checkride!! :tada:

That has to be one of the best feelings, it is known to be the hardest checkride. I remember mine from November, it was such a relief to hold that paper certificate in hand and know that I just got over the biggest hump in the program. It’s going to fly by from here out. Ensure to get yourself reacquainted with instrument procedures.

Brady

Congrats Ryan! About to have my PPL checkride next week (KIWA), and I already know how fast this time goes by! Kudos and what a feeling that must be! Looking forward to that step as well, and I know it’ll be here before I know it! You should be very proud of yourself, as EVERYONE say initial CFI was the most difficult, which equals most rewarding :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Wow congrats again! I had heard that sometimes there aren’t enough positions open for ATP CFI’s, but it seems that you got a job immediately! That is curving my interest even more in the program. Did you end up in Kansas City?

Matthew,

I would not let a perception of CFI availability affect your interest. ATP has been steadily hiring instructors, even through the pandemic. Beyond that, other schools are frequently in need of instructors. When Adam and I went through the program, it was actually pretty difficult to get a job, but we both did well in the program and both got hired. Just remember to treat the program like a nine month interview, you never know who you are meeting and you should be constantly seeking to make a good impression. Do that, plus do well in the program, and you will be fine.

Chris