Moving forward

New to the forum . My name is Tony, was wondering like a lot of others, about the criminal background checks. I know u guys get this question often unfortunately. Was thinking about joining a flight school , but I have have a felony marijuana charge. It’s was 2008 or longer can’t remember exactly. I have read some of the others similar questions but each case is different. My only time running into any trouble, what advice do u guys have for me moving forward with a possible aviation career. I know some of u said u guys was part of the interview process at the regionals.

1 Like

Tony,

If that’s your only offense AND you’ve been clean since you should be fine. Thing is you’ll need to disclose that when getting your medical so you’ll need to “remember exactly” because they will want the details.

Adam

Thanks it’s been a big concern just to know. One other thing the hours per week a pilot normally work are? I’ve seen 4 to 5 hours per day and longer?

Tony,

That completely depends on the airline, the airplane and the operation.

I fly InterIsland for Hawaiian and don’t work more than 4hrs a day, ever. Some long haul pilots can do 16. Depending on where you find yourself it can literally be anywhere in between.

Adam

Tony,

I think the felony charge could be a big deal, I recommend reaching out to several regional airlines and asking them directly.

Adam has some paradise job, I routinely work days that are twelve hours long.

Chris

1 Like

:rofl: Don’t hate me cause you ain’t me! :rofl:

Adam

1 Like

I did I reached out to envoy air recruiting department. The guy said they look for things within a ten year window and I should be good if that’s the only blemish on my record which it is.

U would think with the length of time ago it was maybe it wouldn’t be a problem. I have displayed a spotless record since then. It was a mistake that I take full responsibility for and would love to become a pilot.

Now that’s the life…

Martin you have no idea!

I actually hate telling people about my job because I feel like I’m gloating or bragging. Below is my trip for Sunday (average day). Yes life is good and I’m very fortunate (oh and yes Chris is jealous) :grinning:

Adam

This is the total opposite of ATP’s founder’s career with FedEx. Basically take all the time off from Adam’s schedule, and that is what he worked. In a 727. Without GPS. With a Flight Engineer. They had “inertial nav systems” which were gyroscopes calibrated at departure and then increasingly inaccurate over time for international flights or to… Hawaii. Amusingly, FedEx took a lot of freight to Hawaii, and came back with flowers.

Yeah, I had a hard time relating to friends and family when was working in China. Worked maybe 20 hours a week and made pretty good money for China. Miss having all that free time.

Justin,

I have friends at FedEx, UPS and Atlas. I’ve seen their schedules and I while they do some very cool flying around the globe, I honestly don’t think I would survive it (perhaps if I started when I was younger and had acclimated to that lifestyle?).

I remember when I was doing my training with ATP we took the Citation to pick up Derek in BNA after he had finished a trip. He was incredibly cordial (and wayyyyy too kind to say "dude I’m toast LEAVE ME ALONE!), but after a few minutes of me chewing his ear off he suggested I do more cockpit observation. I literally got up to go forward, glanced back and he was out cold! Definitely not an easy gig.

Adam

Believe it or not, I am old enough to have flown 737-300s that only had INS and DME updating, with no moving maps and round dials. The airplane handled great though.