Moving into Airlines Study Tips

Just wanted to get some insite into what made everyone successful during New hire training (indoc, IOE, etc) at the Airlines. What were some of the study tools that worked for you? Was it:

-Extra time at the training center
-Study groups
-note cards
-reading the POH
-extra sim / chair flying time

I am about to start my new hire class on Thursday with Envoy and would love to know what made everyone successful here. Easy answer I know would be all of the above but I want to know what helped you the most! Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Alex,

Different things worked in different phases for me at Skywest. During Indoc, that was simply rote memory of regs, Op Specs, company policies, etc. I used to take detailed notes in class and then in my study time, go back and make myself a study guide to conceptualize how all the information I learned matters in my every day on the line. It helped me move from the rote memory stage to understanding so that the application could come at a later stage.

In the ground school phase you learn systems and flows. At this point take full advantage of the technology they have to help you learn. We had an FMS lab where you could learn to program it and rooms full of fixed base trainers. These are a bunch of touch screen monitors with the cockpit display on them. The buttons could be touched to open and close valves, flip switched and operate controls. It was great hands on learning that was free to spend as much time as you wanted outside of the scheduled time in it with your instructor. Use this as much as you can. It can help you not only be good at your flows but understand how the systems of the airplane are effected with each button or switch.

Once in the sim phase, work with your sim partner through everything. You’re a pair, a team. With their success, comes yours and yours there’s. Chair fly the session outlines together and know each others roles.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks Hannah for that great insight. I will keep it in mind through training!

Alex,

As Hannah said, different things work for different people but I’ve always been a fan of some the things you mention.

Flash cards are great for systems, memory items and limitation. Things fit need to know rote.

Study groups are great for oral type questions. I’ve always found that each individual has strengths and focus on different areas. By getting together you’re bound to hear questions you never thought of as will the others. You’ll all get better as a group.

Flows, flows and did I mention FLOWS! Far too many newhires put too little emphasis on flows and they’re actually critical. Sim time is expensive and the last thing the company wants to do is waste it. If you miss a question or 5 that’s no biggy but they NEED to know you can get in the sim and get set up so you can train. Hang your posters and wear out that paper tiger.

Time in the training center, even if you don’t think you need it. If you’re lucky some instructor will happen by and give you some pointers you didn’t know. At a minimum it’s always good to be seen. When I was on the union Training Committee I can’t tell you how many times the company would be on the fence about someone struggling and inevitably an instructor would chime in and say “the guy was in here all the time, he’s trying” and that would make the difference.

Adam

2 Likes