My Journey!

Hello!!, some good news

Ok I finally made it to the point where I just have to decide whether I want to do the 25 or the 100+ Hr multi program and then choose a training location. I already did the admissions flight, and have the loan (for the 100+ hr program) and 1st class medical approved. I’m very exited and nervous at the same time since this is big jump for me and my family.

I need some advice to make the decision so I’m going to write what I see as the Pros and Cons of each option for me:

Note: I have a wife and 2 kids in middle school. My wife works full time. I live 20 mins from FXE (No 100+ hr multi program) and 2 hours from FMY (They do have the 100+ program). I have a bachelor and a master degree.

25 Hour multi program:

Pros:
-) I live 20 mins from FXE, so I don’t need to spend in rent
-) Can help my wife with some house activities (kids, etc) not having to find much of additional help (From other family members)
-) Don’t have to be completely away from home for 7 months.
-) Smaller loan.

Cons:
-) I can’t do the 100+ hours multi in FXE

100+ Hours Multi program:

Pros:
-) Can do the 100+ hour program

Cons:
-) I would need to spend in rent
-) Can’t help my wife with some house activities (kids, etc) having to find additional help (From other family members)
-) I would have to be completely away from home for 7 months.
-) Larger loan.

My goal in this career is to be able to go ATP → Regionals → Mayors/LCC. I have read in other posts that the 100+ programs helps you the most when you are going to Part 135, corporate , etc. But I’ve also read that this program gives you the opportunity to train in a more complex aircraft (which is always good) and it makes you checks some boxes when you apply for the first time to the airlines. Since I know I’m not early to the party (I’m 42 yo), I really wanted to pursue this program (100+) because I thought it could give me a better chance to get hired in an airline when the time comes.

Considering the pros and cons and the benefits that the 100+ will give me compared to the 25 hr program, do you think it’s worth having to move to FMY ???

Sorry for the length

Thanks

1 Like

Francisco,

While I am a fan of the 100 program (for the complex experience) you are mistaken in your primary “pro”. It will not give you a better chance getting hired by the airlines. The airlines hire pilots who meet their minimums and do well in training. The extra ME time will not be a consideration at all.

I am however going to challenge one of your pro/cons and that’s the can/can’t help the wife and kids. Not sure you fully understand what the journey you’re about to undertake. Probably the most attractive reason most people choose ATP is the 7mos time-line. How do you suppose you’re going to condense what usually takes years into just 7mos? The checkrides and requirements are all the same (there is no cutting corners) so how is it done? It’s done by you training harder than you probably ever have in your life and that means you need minimum distraction. When I did the program ATP didn’t have a location near me so I had to move. I wasn’t happy about it and missed my family dearly but in truth I’m not sure I would’ve been successful had I not. Kids (and yes even your wife) may not understand daddy needs to go upstairs and lock the door because he needs to study every night. Sure you’ll have some down time but definitely not as much as you think. When you’re not studying you’ll need to get your rest. Distractions can be a killer.

All I’m saying is being away might not be a bad thing and 2hrs isn’t that far if you need to get home.

Adam

2 Likes

Francisco,

If I were you, I’d go to the closer location with the 25 hr program. If your goal is the classic route, ATP-Regionals-Majors then the 25 hr program is all you need. Especially having a family, you need to maximize the quality of life available outside training. Being able to live at home, with a shorter commute will maximize the time with your family in the evenings and weekends.

The only reason to take on the extra financial risk and time away from family (in housing or long commutes) for the 100 hr multi program is if your goal was Netjets or any other big charter carrier.

Hannah

Francisco,

My vote is 100% for the 25 multi hour program. The 25 hour program is more than substantial for training as an ATP CFI or a regional pilot. Even taking your age into account, I do not see any benefit to you doing the 100 hour program and it is certainly not worth moving for. Save your money, go with the 25 hour program.

Chris

Francisco,

I’m with the others that the 25-hour program is more suiting for your situation. You will receive the remainder of your multi time for the ATP either through flying a twin-engine or during simulator training in that specific aircraft you will be checked out in when attending new-hire class.

Brady

Hi!!

Thanks for your answers, they are very important in my decision process. I think I’m inclined for the 25 hour program and to compensate for what Adam is saying about home distractions I might rent a small office space (250-$300/month) to isolate and study.

Another question:

@Hannah from what I read you went to work for FlyExclusive when you graduated from ATP before going to Skywest, did you have enough multi time at time of graduation for them to hire you?? Did you do the 25 or the 100 hour?

Thanks,

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But why does the 100 hour ME option help with getting a job at charter company like Netjets?

1 Like

M.,

Not a stupid question. Many Part 135 operators simply require more ME time (50 or 100 often due to insurance requirements). The airlines will train you in a Level D sim which will get you the balance of the 5O ME time requirement for your ATP. Most 135 operators will not and again will require you to have more ME time. The problem comes after you’re done with training as ME time is hard to come by as an instructor and most entry level jobs are SE. The 25hrs you get with ATP is sufficient for the airlines but again not for many corporate jobs. By taking the 100hr route you already have that box checked.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks!

Francisco,

Not telling you how to spend your money, but I really doubt that you will need to rent an office space. Local libraries are usually super quiet, and there are generally places one can find at the training center as well.

Chris

@Francisco I did the 25 hour program. I instructed with ATP and became a lead so I was able to do some multi engine dual as well which left me at about 250 ME by the time I hit 1500 hours. There is now a pathway program set up with FlyExclusive. When you get closer to your hours I’d definitely recommend pursuing it. I loved my time there.

Thanks @Hannah

So with the 25 hr ME program the only way to do more ME time to qualify for this programs is if you become a lead CFI, if not, then you finish the 1500 hr with the 25 hr ME taken during training, is that correct??

Thanks for the advice @Chris

In your experience, did you do most of the studying at the training center or somewhere else (house, apartment, library, etc) ??

During a normal training day, do you USUALLY (I know some days might be different) arrive to the training center and stay there until you leave for the day or do you come in and out during the day to go study somewhere else between flights, ground lessons, etc. ??

I’m asking this question only to know if the place to study should be near the training center so that you could go and study in between sessions at the training center

Thanks again

Francisco,

In most cases you’ll go in and stay there until you leave. Class/study rooms are all on site. After that some students will hang and study together, some will just leave to study on their own and others will study back at the housing.

You’ll do whatever works best for you. For example I was a big fan of studying with others but Chris was not (he’s kind of antisocial :wink:).

Adam

Francisco,

I did most of my studying in the apartments. There was a quiet room off to one side of the airport that I used to use sometimes as well. Most students arrive to the training center and then stay there for a good chuck of the day, this seems to work for most people.

It wasn’t that I disliked studying with others, I just disliked studying with Adam.

Chris

3 Likes

I’m an acquired taste :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Francisco,

I found myself and recommended to many students to study in the training center. There was something appealing to me that being in a training center with valuable resources and the right people that lead me to always strive to do the best I could. I also studied outside while walking for a good hour or two around the housing complex to refresh my mind and get a breath of fresh air. There are many places that I’ve seen students study, libraries, the airport, Starbucks, etc.

I’m laughing so hard at @Adam and @Chris comment.

Brady

Hello,

I have a start date of Oct 17 and I’m ready to start studying (writtens, etc). I see that there’s an ATP Orientation (59 videos) that we need to do before the start day.

Should I watch those videos first and then start studying for the PAR and others or do the opposite and watch the videos closer to start date??

Thanks

Francisco,

The orientation is required, the writtens are not. If you’re concerned you won’t have time for both I’d do the orientation.

Adam

I would do the videos first, then work on the writtens if you have time.