My Training Timeline at Piedmont

In October, I started training with Piedmont Airlines. I took a small gap for my transition to spend time with family and friends due to my 2-year journey from student to completing my time as an instructor with ATP. I was able to attend the ATP Alumni Association Reception in Atlanta, Georgia on October 6… let me just say, that was an awesome experience, and I was able to reconnect with many former influences that I met when I was a student and instructor at ATP. I was able to also reconnect with both Chris and Kamrin from the forum.

For a synopsis on the training at Piedmont Airlines, please visit my posting “My Piedmont Training Outline.”

Oct 1- 5: OFF
Oct 6: ATP Alumni Association Reception, Atlanta, GA
Oct 7 - 15: OFF
Oct 16: Travel CLT
Oct 17: IGT 1
Oct 18: IGT 2
Oct 19: IGT 3
Oct 20: IGT 4
Oct 21: IGT 5 / IGT Exam / Travel Home :slight_smile:
Oct 22 - 23: OFF
Oct 24: CBT - HS
Oct 25: CBT - HS
Oct 26: CBT - HS
Oct 27: CBT - HS
Oct 28: CBT - Exam :slight_smile:
Oct 29 - 31: OFF

IGT - Indoctrination Ground Training
CBT - Computer Based Training (on iPads)
HS - Home Study

As training continued into the month of November, I passed a gateway to move forward with training. Unfortunately there was a backup in previous classes, the training department delayed any further training to prevent a gap between Procedures Training and Simulator Training; this is a positive thing because it reduced the gap of knowledge between gateways.

Nov 1: OFF
Nov 2: Travel CLT
Nov 3: NAS 1
Nov 4: NAS 2
Nov 5 - 6: OFF
Nov 7: QGT
Nov 8: QGT
Nov 9: QGT
Nov 10: QGT
Nov 11: QGT
Nov 12 - 13: OFF
Nov 14: QGT
Nov 15: QGT / SV Exam / Travel Home :slight_smile:
Nov 16 - 30: OFF

NAS - Non-Aircraft Specific
QGT - Qualification Ground Training
SV - Systems Validation
QPT - Qualification Procedures Training

During December I remained home due to a training backlog. The training department wanted to mitigate the gap between procedures and sims. In late December, I was notified I would return to the Training Center in Charlotte during January. As training continued into the month of January, I passed a gateway to move forward with training.

Jan 1-4: OFF
Jan 5: Travel CLT
Jan 6: QPT-1
Jan 7: QPT-2
Jan 8: QPT-3
Jan 9: QPT-4
Jan 10: QPT-5
Jan 11: OFF
Jan 12: OFF
Jan 13: QPTV, Travel Home :slight_smile:
Jan 14 - 31: OFF

QPT - Qualification Procedures Training
QPTV - Procedures Training Validation

I returned to training in March having off the entirety of February. What I did during this time off was connect with my sim partner and reviewed everything from scans, profiles to briefings so that we could remain proficient in our knowledge and level of skill. I also was reviewing systems of the Embraer 145.

March 1 - 9: OFF
March 10: Travel CLT
March 11 - 15: PT Refresher
March 16-19: OFF
March 20: QU 1
March 21: OFF
March 22: QU 2
March 23: QU 3
March 24: QU 4
March 25: OFF
March 26: OFF
March 27: QU 5
March 28: QU 6
March 29: QU 7
March 30: QU 8
March 31: MV :slight_smile:

QU - Qualification Maneuver (“FT”)
MV - Maneuver Validation

After completing my MV I had a few days off prior to starting my Line Oriented Flight Training (LOFT). Up next, I will begin my OE after a few observation flights and start flying from the right seat!

April 1-3: OFF
April 4: LOFT 1
April 5: LOFT 2
April 6: LOFT 3
April 7: LOFT 4
April 8: LOE - ATP/TYPE RATED :smiley:

LOFT - Line Oriented Flight Training
LOE - Line Oriented Evaluation

Disclaimer: Everyone’s training timeline and schedules may vary, this is my schedule from training.

11 Likes

Congratulations Brady!

Thanks for posting. Its a good reminder of how much training I/we will still need after hitting the magical 1500 hours. Random question as I continue to day dream while waiting on the FAA. Does the Piedmont pay you reserve minimums for all of that time?

Thanks,
Mike

1 Like

Brady,

Great write up and even better picture of that airplane and foreboding sky.

Chris

1 Like

Michael,

Thank you! During my time in training I was paid my minimum credit guaranteed of 75 hours. :slight_smile:

Brady

1 Like

Chris,

Took this photo one evening after an ORD ALB leg, last flight of the night and saw an awesome opportunity for a photo.

Brady

Brady,

Great write up and congrats! Seems like the overall organization of the training is very similar to Envoy. I hope you are enjoying flying the 145! How long do you think you’ll be on reserve before you can hold a line?

Roscoe

1 Like

Brady,

Lots of hard work has paid off! Glad to hear training went so well for you.

Hannah

1 Like

Roscoe,

I love the little ‘Barbie Jet’, small but mighty. :smiley:

A mass email was just sent out about more lines being introduced so I believe I may have a good shot at holding a line starting in July. I was only 3 people away for the month of June for holding a line.

Brady

1 Like

Barbie Jet? Barbie Jet?!?! Them’s fighten’ words!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Adam

1 Like

Brady,

Glad you’re enjoying it, so far my captains who transferred from the 145 have had nothing but good things to say about it. That’s incredibly lucky to potentially get a line that quick, it’s looking like it could be a while for me!

Roscoe

1 Like

I’m just teasing :rofl:. I call I prefer to call it The Rocket Ship, there’s so many names out there for the 145.

Brady

I’m teasing too. Just have a little ptsd from some of the less than cordial mainline Continental guys calling the the RJ the Barbie Jet.

Personally, since the plane came from Brazil, I was always partial to the term “Jungle Jet”. :grinning:

Adam

1 Like

Something about a flight case sticker comes to mind… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, I vaguely remember something akin to…

Adam

I was just about to ask what you are paid during training. Good to see that all that training and downtime isn’t wrecking the finances.

Martin,

During training your hotel is paid for, you get per diem for every hour you’re away from home and you get a minimum guarantee pay of anywhere from 70-75 hours.

Hannah

1 Like

Just to clarify, while that may be what Hannah has experienced, this can vary considerably from airline to airline. Not all pay for hotels, not all pay per diem and not all will pay the min guarantee.

Adam

1 Like

That is true, I should have clarified! Good questions to ask before accepting a job at a future airline. Those details matter!

Hannah

1 Like

That’s gotta be rough as a new hire with two months of iffy income during training.

Martin,

Not even close! While I’m truly happy things have gotten so much better since the pilot shortage, when people talk about how “hard”, “challenging” or “impossible” things are today I laugh.

Less than 10yrs ago first year pay was under $20k, many airlines did not pay pilots during training and others even charged newhires tens of thousands for the their training. Bonuses and Tuition Reimbursement was inconceivable. While it may require some sacrifice, it’s far from the struggle it was.

Adam