NDR and Driving Record

Good afternoon,

I know this topic has been covered but I wanted to ask a similar question with my specific circumstances because it has not been convered in any previous forum. I plan on starting ATP in August, but started to become concerned when I read a recent post about your driving record.

In 2012 when I was 17, I got pulled over only once and received a “no u-turn” ticket and an “improper driving” ticket in the same stop. In New York, a new driver is on probabtion for six months and if he receives two tickets, his/her license becomes suspended for 60 days. So, mine was suspended, but only for 30 days. My concern is how bad will it look to the airlines that my license was suspended. I also read that suspended, revoked, or serious driving offenses are reported to the NDR (national driving register) and that looks really bad to airlines. I’m not sure if mine was reported because it was minor and I was considered a new driver on probation, but if anyone has experience please shed some light on this and how airlines react to a recent suspension.

Thank you all in advance.

1 Like

David,

First I wouldn’t guess, I’d get myself a copy of my record. Second (while there’s no guarantees) IF you’ve remained clean since then I wouldn’t worry too much. That was 5 yrs ago and it’ll be another 2 before you’re near an airline. That’ll make it 7 yrs and it was when your were a new driver. If/when it comes up you simply explain and own it and you shouldn’t have an issue. That said being that it is on there I would be driving like the proverbial “little old lady from Pasadena” if I were you.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply and since that day my record has been clean and I intend to continue that progress. If my name is on the NDR do you think I will have a problem?

Thank you again,

David

1 Like

David,

Honestly it doesn’t really matter either way (I’d just want to know what it says for myself). It will be asked on the application and you should always answer honestly. They’ll be a place to explain and you’ll do so. Again it was when you were 17, things happen. The main thing they’re looking for is a pattern of bad behavior. If it’s a one shot deal AND it wasn’t for anything really bad (drugs, alcohol, etc) I believe you’ll be fine.

Adam

1 Like

That is good to hear. Thank you again Adam for your help and I hope you have a great day. You were very helpful.

1 Like

My pleasure sir and you too. Today’s going to be a great day. Flying to JFK this afternoon where I’ve watched planes takeoff and land my entire life but never piloted one in there myself until today!

Muy excited!

Adam

1 Like

That sounds great and is something I hope to do one day myself… I’ll keep an eye out for you! (I can see JFK traffic from my home)… Hope you have a great flight!

1 Like

Just keep an eye out for the Pualani tail around 0630 Thurs am. Give a wave :slight_smile:

1 Like

Resurrecting an old thread (yay search function).

I went the RTAG convention this past weekend. I spoke with almost every airline in attendance from the regionals, to the ULCCs, to the Majors. A recruiter for one of the ULCC’s that I was seriously targeting recommended me for the interview (super excited) and said I should expect a call anytime between now and after the holidays due to training slowing down during the holidays and the amount of viable candidates they received just at the convention.

Anyways, one thing he mentioned was he asked if I had any speeding tickets on my record. I was honest with him, and I had already listed them on my application months ago, and told him I had a no seatbelt ticket in Honolulu in 2003 or 2004 when I was stationed out there and a speeding ticket in Texas in 2005. I plead guilty to both, paid the fines, moved on in life. He said they shouldn’t be a big deal but I might want to access my national driving record and have them removed if they still show to make me just as competitive as applicants without any tickets.

I tried google but didn’t really locate anything that made sense to me. Does anyone know how to access their national driving record? If you do, do you know how to have things removed? All my years as a police officer and I’ve never heard of this national record thing and was always under the impression infractions stayed there forever.

Thanks!

Art

1 Like

Art,

I’m curious what you find, I’ve never heard of that ever?

Adam

2 Likes

Art,

I have never heard of this either. I will be curious what you find out.

Chris

1 Like

Have you asked the guy that is trying to recruit you?

1 Like

Adam, Chris, Tory thank you for the replies.

Tory, no I haven’t. Thought I’d try here first. I’m actually a little surprised there were not more posts here on this topic. The pilot recruiter talked with such confidence on the subject I figured this was a normal thing at the airlines. I will be reaching out to them for more clarification.

Thanks again, mentors!

Here is link to some frequently asked questions. Bottom of page 4, looks like it’s part of PRIA. However, I read the FAQs to describe the NDR as a registry to point the employer to any state that has records if your driver license has been sanctioned (suspended, cancelled, revoked or denied) by the State that issued your license or another State where you may have committed a traffic offense. So as long as my license has not been sanctioned my name should not appear on the registry. Would any of you interpret this the same or differently? Thanks

NDR-FAQ-11122015.pdf (121.4 KB)

Arthur,

Honestly, I would not interpret it at all as that is getting into the legal world and I am no expert there.

Personally I would not worry at all about two speeding tickets, with he most recent being in 2005. That is sixteen years ago, clearly you learned your lesson and have improved. I assume this is an airline that is recruiting you, not a position flying Air Force One.

You will be fine.

Chris

Hey Adam, I was wondering if corporate jobs and flight instructor jobs care as much about your driving record as the airlines? I am currently working on my instrument rating and my driving record is pretty bad…

Accident on 11/2022, ticket received: Driving without due care/caution
Accident on 10/2020 ticket received: Impeding Traffic

If I could have a clean record for the next two years as I build time to 1500hrs, would that be satisfactory for airlines or would they want more time to pass?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ethan,

EVERYONE cares about your driving record! If you can’t be trusted to operate a car safely and adhering to the regs, why on Earth should someone trust you with their multi-million dollar airplane or the safety and reputation of their company, passengers, flight school etc. Your actions have repercussions.

As for what will happen in the next 2yrs IF you remain squeaky clean AND the pilot shortage continues you should(?) be fine. If you don’t or if airline hiring slows you might not.

Adam

Thanks you for your prompt response and and the insight you have to offer. Much appreciated.

Ethan,

Most CFI jobs probably won’t pull your national drivers registry history. However, any part 135 or part 121 job absolutely will. It’s standard background check stuff. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to call an HR rep at prospective airlines and get their opinion before pursuing flight training.

Hannah

Ethan,

Over these next few years while you’re in training and building time, you need to ensure you are safely operating a vehicle and adhering to the laws. Every employer that you will find charter/corporate/airlines will care about your record. For CFI, you are typically a contractor/independent worker for a company and they do not pull a registry of your driving record. Hopefully November 2022 will be your last ticket, accidents do happen, but if they’re your fault then it’s not an accident because maybe it could have been prevented with safe operation of a vehicle.

Brady