Real Answers from Real Pilots

Need advise from pilots

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and answer my question. I am 34 and will be turning 35 in January. I have wanted to be a pilot for a long time now, I haven’t had the chance because of debt and not being able to qualify for the loan on top of other things in life which have held me back. In May I will have a bachelor’s degree finally. Although it will be in Social Work and not aviation. However, by June I should be able to afford ATP flight school. I guess my question(s) is will a bachelor’s in Social Work still be valid when applying for airline jobs or do I need to rethink my degree or build on a new degree toward some form of aviation. Secondly, is 35 too old to start a career as an airline pilot? My goal is to work commercial air and most specifically some day flying internationally. Thank you for your time.

Even though I’m not a pilot, I’ve seen responses on here from pilots answering questions similar to yours.

From what I remember about those responses, a degree in aviation isn’t required when applying for an airline job, but a bachelor’s degree in any field will make you stand out when you’re applying. Also, having a degree in a non-aviation field gives you something to fall back on, in case aviation doesn’t work out for you.

1 Like

Justin,

Short answer is no and no.

To elaborate a little the airlines want a degree but they really don’t care as to the field of study. I know pilots with degrees in everything from nuclear physics to music and the arts. You’re simply checking a box which tells the airlines you’re capable of spending the time and energy to complete a goal over a period of years.

As for your age, the average age must pilots start training nationwide is actually start flight training is approx 33 so you’re just slightly above the average. You still have plenty of time to have a long successful career.

Adam

1 Like

Justin,

The bachelor’s in Social Work will be just fine. The major airlines just want to see that you have a degree, the field of study does not matter at all. While ypu are not young, you are not old either in the scheme of an aviation career. My caveat would be that you do not have a lot of time to waste if you want to get into the industry.

Chris

1 Like