Need Help with Flight Schools

I’ve been saving money to become a pilot to pay for flight school since I come from a low-income family. Does anyone have any advice on ways to help pay for school other than just working and saving? I work full-time and save as much as I can, but I have such a long way to go before I can afford it at this rate. It’s always been a dream of mine since I was younger to become one, and I’m 21 now, not getting any younger, so the sooner I can get in, the better, of course. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Victor,
I’ll attach the links for places to research grants and scholarships. I’d look in to those. If you chose to pursue your training through ATP there is financing available through Sallie Mae. You wouldn’t have to start paying off your loan until 6 minutes after completion of the program which gives you time to secure an instructing job to start earning an income again.

https://www.faa.gov/education/grants_and_scholarships/

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/students/flight-training-scholarships

https://sportysacademy.com/scholarships/

-Hannah

2 Likes

Victor,

Flight training is expensive. Most finance their training or borrow money from family. Scholarships are out there but there aren’t many and they only cover portions of your training. I have flown with a few pilots that said they received their flight training from aviation community colleges and were able apply for financial aid.

Tory

1 Like

Victor,

The vast majority of students finance their training with loans. Check out this link for more information: Flight Training Loans / ATP Flight School

Chris

I’ll give you 2 different stories.

I did ATP and in 2yrs 2months got to Regionals.

• Cost $80k (half cash half loans).
  • Needed a co-signer.
  • Paying next 9yrs.

Girlfriend did Wayman Aviation and in 4yrs got to Regionals.

• Cost $30k (she paid).
  • $10k in scholarships (applied for every one and joined 99s, WAI, OBAP, AOPA).
  • Worked at Flight school in Dispatch while training.
  • Discount CFI Rating for working at that School after.
  • 0 Loans.

There is no “perfect route”, work with what you have, make a plan, then follow through. And BTW, 21yr old is still freaking young. I started at 26 and the GF started at 21. You’ll be fine

Chris F

Chris,

Airline captains can easily make $300,000 per year. That $50k that your girlfriend saved could end up costing her $550,000 in the long run. Factor in interest and it could still end up costing her $500,000. Plus, that amount of scholarships is not normal.

Chris

100% true. Her and I debate/tease who took the better route (literally with a white board lol).

Truth is, it was her only option; me being older and able to afford it, ATP was my best option.

Chris F

Ok simply because I’m suffering from some FOMO here’s my 2 sheckles.

The advantages of seniority go way beyond simply the salary earned. This could not be more apparent they in the events from last year. Some pilots were furloughed, some downgraded, some displaced off their aircraft and some were untouched. Two years can and sometimes does make the difference between success and failure in this career. Obviously if someone doesn’t have the means and can find an alternate route they should take it. While later is better than never, there’s no question sooner is better.

Adam

1 Like

Great points Adam. People that were hired even six months behind me at Continental were furloughed in 2008 and spent three years out while I held a line the entire time. Those few months mattered.

Chris

1 Like