New hire options for bases near southern Indiana

Hello. After six years in law Enforcement as a police officer, my wife, 5 children, and I are considering a career change. Currently we live in the seymour area in Indiana. At this location I am about 1 hour from Indianapolis and Louisville airports,1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati, and about 3 hours from Nashville. We are not in a position to be able to relocate due to Child custody/sharing situations. With that being said are there any regional airline taking new hires once training/Certs/required hours are complete in my area that would able me to base out of one of these locations? What option could I potentially later have in the majors in my area that would allow me to base here? Would consider any and all options.

Samuel,

You can reference the attached but the short answer is there aren’t many airlines with bases near you. Republic has an Indy base but whether they will and whether it’ll be a newhire base by the time you’re ready is anybody’s guess.

The good news is as a pilot you can pretty much commute to anywhere (as about 50% of pilots do). Is it inconvenient and sometimes a major pain, sure but as I said many pilots do.

Adam

So basically I probably will have to commute my entire career due to lack of a base my major airlines ect?

Doesn’t FedEx have a base in IND and quite a few other cargo operators in CVG (atlas?)?

Ben

1 Like

Samuel,

Unless things change yes pretty much you will need to commute or move.

Adam

Thank you for your help

I do think fed ex is here. How is cargo different career wise?? Benefits like free or discounters travel? I’m new to this and like I said a career move from a well paying job.

I’m not an airline/cargo pilot myself. That would be a great question for @kcbaker if he’s still around.

Ben

Samuel,

FedEx is a Major airline just like Delta, United etc, they simply fly boxes instead of passengers. They have the same requirements and also offer some of the top pay scales which make them just as challenging to get to. As far as benefit go while you as a pilot can jumpseat, they don’t have the same travel benefits for families as they families can’t fly on their planes.

Adam

Samuel,

FedEx would be an awesome company to fly for. Just know that you will be severely limiting your career by only focusing on one airline and you need to be prepared for what if FedEx never calls you. I commuted for 17 years. While doable, I would not suggest it unless absolutely necessary,

Chris

Samuel,

There is some good information on AirlinePilotCentral for FedEx: FedEx Express | AirlinePilotCentral.com. Looks like they do have the IND base.

Brady

UPS has a base in Louisville as well. So both UPS and FedEx bases are a hour from me. Looks like if I don’t want to commute my entire career I would have to focus on cargo. My wife has a business and we have 5 children. So re locating isn’t really a option. I would hate to use those few days off Having to commute on each end. I’m looking at all options but I’m not sure if this would even be doable for the family in my situation. My dream has been to fly and after not being happy with how being a cop is headed after six years, I’m hoping to make this work.

You could look into Corporate aviation. Fractionals, private owners,corporate flight departments, etc. Indi, Louisville, and Cincinnati should have enough opportunities to make that work. I’m a cop as well, also trying to make the switch.

Still around. Just finishing up oe and other new hire stuff at delta currently. So no longer a member of the cargo world!

1 Like