New Student Pilot & Monocular Vision

Hello aviators,

I have had a life long love for aviation ever since I was about 4-5 years old. I took a few flying lessons back when I was 12, and again 7 years ago when I was 25. I was born with 20/10 vision in both eyes but due to a stupid eye injury that cost me my military career while in ROTC I have had jobs close doors on me left and right leaving me with what I thought was 1 career path, IT.

I like doing IT, but my real passion has always been flying. I am one of those guys that drives their SO’s nuts when going on a commercial flight because I talk about what procedures are being done and does GPWS callouts… lol. I also drive my wife nuts when we go to Sun N Fun when we can.

For years I thought my eye injury precluded me from flying and I even had some people tell me I should not be able to drive a car either (the car thing was total nonsense, and that person does not know what they are talking about). I took other peoples words as law without doing my own research, and this is my fault for not following up on the information they gave.

What I have come across a few days ago was from the FAA stipulating that Monocular Vision is 100% ok, provided that you meet all other FAA Medical Requirements and pass the appropriate testing, and I even met another pilot at Sun N Fun that was blind in 1 eye and he is a commercial pilot.

" An applicant will be considered monocular when there is only one eye or when the best corrected distant visual acuity in the poorer eye is no better than 20/200. An individual with one eye, or effective visual acuity equivalent to monocular, may be considered for medical certification, any class, through the special issuance section of part 67 14 CFR [67.401]." - FAA Webpage on Monocular Vision

My question here is, what does this process entail and is there any additional information that you guys can give me based on your experience(s) regarding this. I am strongly considering a career change from IT to aviation, and BEFORE someone says “you can make good money and have better hours doing IT than aviation”, I am not doing this for the money, but for a passion that I have had since childhood.

Best advice (as always) is contact an AME in your area for a consult.

Adam

Would the AOPA help in this case or is this just one of those things that is left up to the sole discretion of the AME?

John,

It is not at all left up to the discretion of the examiner. The examiner will have to follow specific procedures from the FAA and will likely refer you to an ophthalmologist for further review. I do not see AOPA being a big help in this. At the end of the day, you will either qualify or you will not.

Chris