Non Rev Flights

When it comes to non rev flights I know that airlines give free standby that you work for and discounted rates on paid tickets. But Can I get free standby or discounted tickets on another airline or an airline within my airlines alliance?

Daniel,

Yes. First off all pilots in the US can “jumpseat” on all other airlines in the country (some foreign as well). In addition all airlines have fare agreements with most carriers worldwide (not just their alliances) for very discounted tickets. One of the best perks of the job.

Adam

1 Like

Daniel,

You can typically get highly discounted standby tickets on just about any airline, but you will be on the absolute bottom of the list. As such, I have very rarely taken advantage of this. As a pilot, you can jumpseat for free on any US airline. When I absolutely, positively need to be somewhere at a certain date and time, I buy tickets like everybody else.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks guys for the quick responses. Chris I have a question for you. Out of curiosity Is your base EWR?

Daniel,

It sure is, has been for the last thirteen years.

Chris

1 Like

That’s very cool. I live about 20 min away near Paramus. Which route do you fly?

FYI, I was EWR based for 9yrs with Xjt. Family’s in Rockland :slight_smile:

Adam

Very cool Adam. It’s like one big family.

1 Like

You made quite the journey to Hawaii. I was just there a month ago for the first time. Met a lot of people from the city. All said they moved out there to get away from the cold. Which I don’t blame them. We had 4 nor’easters in such a small amount of time. And it certainly does not feel like spring yet.

Oh I’m aware. Lot’s of family there and I was visiting last week. It’s absolutely uncivilized living in that environment (not kidding). I visit but that’s all.

Adam

1 Like

Haha. After having a taste of Hawaii, I didn’t want to go back.

If you don’t me asking did you jumpseat back home?

Every month for 5+ years. Sometimes on Hawaiian, sometimes on United.

Adam

1 Like

Very cool. Must be an uncomfortable ride tho to be in a jumpseat for 12 hours

Daniel,

It would be but I don’t. When pilots “jumpseat” we only have to sit IN the jumpseat if there are no seats in the cabin (which there almost always are). As long as there’s a seat in back we get that.

Adam

Oh well then it’s a great incentive from the airline. Looking around this forum gives me more motivation to become a pilot. Only thing potentially holding me back is cost of training, time, and time to start a family. But I hope I’ll have enough time to figure this all out before getting my PPL

Daniel,

No particular route, just anywhere the Airbus flies. From Mexico City to portland and everywhere in between.

Chris

1 Like

Very cool. And you don’t mind flying the scarebus?

To be honest, I didn’t care for it much at first, but it is starting to grow on me.

Chris

1 Like