Real Answers from Real Pilots

November ‘19 Schedule

In trying to finish up LOSA observations at the end of October, I was faced with Jury Duty and CQ leading into November. To prevent going into CQ cold I was able to wrap up my observations in time to pick up a trip before Jury Duty. Thankfully I wasn’t assigned a case. That allowed me to study harder for CQ.

As I came back to the line after 80 hours of LOSA observation reporting it was easy to see the threat and error management process unfold right before my eyes. The number one question I get asked is, “Was observing worth it?” My answer to that is it was more work than I expected, but the experience was invaluable. Threat and error management is why we’re there.

Lastly, I’m still trying to get used to working on the holidays. I never realized how much I took time off on holidays for granted. At the same time, it felt good serving our guests on Thanksgiving.

Tory

Sorry to bombard you with these questions. What is a LOSA observation and what is CQ?

No bother. LOSA stands for Line Operations Safety Audit. Here’s what the FAA has to say about it:
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/maintenance_hf/losa/

Simply put, LOSA programs are a diagnostic for the airline. The LOSA observers document threat and error management. The data collected is validated before presented to management. Management then decides what changes need to be made to make a better airline.

CQ stands for Continuing Qualification. Fancy way of saying check ride for airline pilots. Every 12 months part 121 pilots are required to satisfactorily complete CQ. Every airline’s CQ is different. For us the sim portion consisted of takeoffs, landings, approaches, low visibility ops, emergencies, upset recovery, etc. The ground portion was a review of company policy, security, emergency equip, threat and error management, etc.

Tory