November 2018 Schedule

For November, 2018 I had a bit of vacation, so I ended up with fourteen days off, plus four reserve days that I was not used.

1. off
  2. ORF-DEN (deadhead), DEN-LGA
  3. EWR-RSW, RSW-EWR
  4. off
  5. off
  6. off
  7. checkride in Denver
  8. checkride in Denver
  9. off
  10. off
  11. off
  12. off
  13. off
  14. off
  15. EWR-RDU, RDU-IAH
  16. IAH-EWR (deadhead)
  17. EWR-PBI, PBI-EWR
  18. short call reserve, did not get used
  19. long call reserve, did not get used
  20. off
  21. off
  22. short call reserve, (Thanksgiving, did not get used)
  23. long call reserve, did not get used
  24. EWR-ATL, ATL-EWR, EWR-RDU
  25. RDU-IAD, IAD-SAT
  26. SAT-EWR, EWR-DFW
  27. DFW-EWR, EWR-BOS, BOS-EWR
  28. off
  29. off
  30. EWR-RDU, RDU-EWR, EWR-DFW
1 Like

Not bad. How often do you get deadhead flights ?

It really depends. Some months none at all, other months quite a few.

Hi Chris,
Kudos for scoring Thanksgiving off! To me this is very surprising though, if I were on reserve for the big three holidays I would easily assume I’d be getting a call. Do you guys ever see an influx of “sick” calls on major holidays? I know it’s typical for a lot of industries, especially for New Years, and the Monday after Super Bowl for whatever reason. I’m sure the responsibility factor comes into play here in a sense, or maybe I’m just not used to working with a large group of highly dedicated people. Drives me crazy :smile:

Adam,

I do not have specific numbers to quote, but I do not feel that there is an increase in sick calls over the holidays. Pilots tend to be a pretty responsible group and calling in sick just pushes the ball down hill to your fellow pilot.

Chris

2 Likes

Adam,

Just to jump in this has actually been a serious topic of conversation at my airline recently. Also I don’t want to make sweeping judgments on any generation BUT for a VERY long time the culture at my airline was such that NO ONE ever called in sick on holidays (unless you were seriously ill). If you were on Reserve and had a reserve day on Christmas, Thanksgiving etc you were almost guaranteed you wouldn’t get called in. It was about respecting the seniority system and not putting yourself or your interests above another pilot. In the last few years that has noticeably changed. Our latest in flux of pilots thinks nothing about calling in sick as a means of “schedule improvement”. It’s things like this that erode moral and make working as a unified group (which is important particularly when it comes to negotiations) difficult.

Adam

1 Like

Chris,

Are you often able to make it home on the last day of your trip?
Also, do you live near your hub?

Thank you!
-Logan

Logan,

Typically I am able to make it home on the last day of my trip, but not always. I commute from EWR to SBN or ORF, both of which have late night departures from EWR, so that helps.

Chris

Where do you usually brief your flights after a layover, or when you are changing aircraft?

Martin,

Since at my airline we don’t get the paperwork for a return till we’re in the cockpit that’s where we do our briefing.

Adam

Martin,

For oceanic flights we brief in the weather room in the airport. For domestic flights, we brief in the cockpit.

Chris