October ‘21 Schedule

Should be about 80 credits for October. October was actually quite nice. It’s been a while since I’ve had the ability to rearrange my schedule after my schedule has been published, but October was good to me.

November and December however…that’s a different story. In order to accommodate the largest hiring wave the company has ever seen, our schedules have been greatly reduced, and as a result, many pilots that had a line are now back on reserve and a lot of the trips are very inefficient, i.e. long sits between flights, short credit trips, aircraft swaps, min rest…all that “good stuff.”

Thankfully I escaped airport jail—I mean reserve!

Tory

2 Likes

Hi Tory, nice you got Halloween off! I also notice there are several 1 day trips (Oct 23, 28, 29, 30) but believe that 3 or 4 day trips are more common, correct?
Thanks

Hi Ravi!

Yes! Exactly. Normally I fly 3-4 day trips, but with the ability to drop some trips in October I was able to pick up some day trips! :grin:

And yes, Halloween was nice. I haven’t celebrated a holiday in 3 years. Our son is too little to remember any of it but we had fun.

Tory

Tory,

You haven’t celebrated any holidays in 3 years? I know pilots usually work over holidays but I’d figure you’d have to get the luck of the draw at some point and get at least one. :rofl: That must be tough but I guess you get used to it.

Ben

Doh! Of course I have. I just meant it’s been 3 years since I’ve not had to work on a holiday.

Tory

1 Like

Quick question, if a pilot is awarded a schedule based off his wants, and only works 8 days for example this month? Is he paid the Airline monthly guarantee (75hrs for example) or considering he put in his schedule to only work 8 days and was rewarded it, does he only get paid for those amount of hours flown?

Keaton,

When you bid a line, regardless of what you want, that line will always be built to make sure you cover the min guarantee (the airlines aren’t in business to pay pilots money to not fly. If that were the case everyone would just bid that and collect guarantee). Now many airlines, not all, will let you drop trips but one you go below the guarantee you’ll only get paid for what you fly (ie, if you only worked 8 days, and each day was worth say 6hrs, you’d get 48hrs for the month).

Adam

Makes sense. I was wandering about that, so theatrically speaking, the most senior QOL is still flying quite a few days a month… So when someone is awarded like 21 days off, there basically just not getting paid a full 75hrs or flew many hours a day, (multiple trips, or far places) the 7-10 days they did work?

Makes sense though, thank you for clearing it up!

Keaton,

No. Again, you would never be awarded a schedule that’s below min guarantee. If someone is awarded 21 days off they have some very high value trips that will AGAIN cover the min guarantee. For example at Hawaiian we have an HNL-JFK 3 day trip. The credit for that trip is approx 25hrs (20hrs flying and 5hrs for the day in NY). Do 3 of those a month that’s only 9 days of flying which gives you 21-22 days off and STILL 75hrs of credit to cover min guarantee. That’s why these fat, efficient trips go very senior. In fact we had an HNL-PEK 2 day that was also worth around 25hrs. Do 3 of those you’re only working 6 days a month and getting 24-25 days off. Make sense?

For the most part, the only time the company will pay you guarantee if you didn’t fly the hours is if you’re on reserve or they pull or cancel some trips.

Adam

Yeah I understood what you meant. And still worded it wrong. I apologize :man_facepalming:t2: Thank you though!

Another question though, I was trying to help myself better understand, most of the time you get paid flight hours… but like you just said, 5hrs for the day in town, when does that come into play, to add to the total of your amount of hours?

Keaton,

Every airline has a MDG (min daily guarantee, usually between 4-6hrs) which means that is the least you’ll be paid for a day of work. That means if you get called in to do a single short flight OR if you’ve got a long layover where you don’t fly for the day but you’re at an out station, the least you’ll be paid for that day is the MDG.

Adam

Got it!!
Thank you!

For senior pilots, is it possible to work all your days at one time? Weather it’s first, middle, or end of month? I believe I read about having to have 30hrs free of duty every 7 days. So even if you worked 6, then added 2 days sometime during the month. Still having the bulk of your hours coming from 6-7 days in a row at a certain point in the month. Is that possible and do senior pilots normally do it?

Keaton,

You are well read. Yes it is possible so long as it is done legally which you seem to have a good handle on.

Do most senior pilots do it? I’m not sure. I’m sure they’ve all done it at some point. The question is not do they, it’s can they? And yes they can because they have the seniority to do so.

Tory

Yes, I’ve read numerous different topics on here. This forum is very helpful, so thank you all.
I understand you aren’t gonna be awarded a schedule that doesn’t meet me the minimums. But that you can get to the minimums in under 10 days, so thank you for the answer. Didn’t know if y’all knew any of the senior pilots that would do such but, like you said it’s definitely possible. So thank you! Would seem like a great way to do it, like work the first 6, off 30hrs work 2 more days, be off 18-20. Or something similar… Seems like it would be a awesome living. Thank you!

When I was at Horizon I saw a senior FO’s schedule and it looked just like you described. He had all day trips stacked in the first half of the month and the rest of the month off, similar to how you are describing.

Tory

Do regional airlines have many trips that you can accumulate 70-75hrs depending on the minimum, in 10 or less days?

For that you will need to ask the pilots on Airline Pilot Central.

Tory

Keaton,

Generally not. High value trips usually mean long flights and the Regionals simply don’t do that kind of flying. Most Regionals also often have a lower MDG as I previously explained.

As for your other question, I know many pilots (usually commuters) who bid all trips together and large blocks of days off as well. The idea is to commute in do all your flying the half the month and have the other half off so you can go home. The really senior commuters will bid to work the first half of one month and the second half of the next and alternate. This essentially gives them a month off and a month on.

Keep in mind all you’re describing, while possible, comes with significant seniority which can take many years to accrue, particularly if you want to upgrade or fly bigger, higher paying airplanes.

Adam