Ogden Flight School Comparison

I am currently comparing flight schools in the Ogden, Utah area. There are 3 schools here, ATP, Axiom Aviation, and Cornerstone Aviation. Do any of you have experience with Axiom or Cornerstone? If not, what should I look for in comparing schools?
Thanks

Axiom is owned and operated by 2 very good friends of mine. Both went through and instructed for ATP. Nate went to SkyWest for a short time but decided his passion was instructing, and he started the school from nothing. From what I’ve seen on their website and their instructional videos, it looks very impressive. But I don’t personally know anyone who has attended their school. I’d suggest you visit all of the programs you are interested in firsthand and see what suits you best.

1 Like

https://airlinepilot.life/t/questions-for-any-prospective-flight-school/117/14

I went and visited Axiom this past weekend. I had briefly used the wificfi podcast and liked what I was getting for free to supplement my PPL training. I was in Utah for the weekend and wanted to stop by and check the place out and see if it would be worth moving across the country for all my ratings. The tour was rather informal but that was my fault, I was unsure of my travel arrangements so I did not want to book anything for fear of having to cancel, then I tried to get in touch with them over the weekend but didn’t hear back, so I just showed up Monday morning. I met with Nate and he was really nice in handling all of my questions and showing me and my +3 around the school and the planes on the tarmac. (my girlfriend and parents were with me for the weekend so they got the tour too).
The two things I liked most were, Nate was a Skywest pilot so he knows what it takes to get hired and what the regionals are looking for, which is great because that is the next step after getting your ratings and building time to 1500. Also the cost is an “all in” cost. checkrides, written tests, headset, books are all included in the cost. At minimum 7 checkrides will cost anywhere from $6-8,000 so you save that money right off the bat! There was only 1 student there that I was able to talk to for a short time, he was working on CFI, he said he liked it and there was good people there. I would like to go back and maybe do a discovery flight and really evaluate what the loan situation will be after obtaining all my ratings and maybe check out some apartments.

Joseph,

There are many flight schools out there who have copied ATPs Career Pilot Program. I’m not here to shoot holes in your post or Axiom (who I’ve honestly never heard of?) but I do have to make a few points.

First, while it’s nice that Nate was a SkyWest pilot (and I’m sure a good guy), getting hired at a Regional is really not that tremendous a task. Before the pandemic (and I believe soon to be again) if you had 1500hrs and a pulse you could get a Regional job. Getting hired doesn’t make someone an SME.

Next I’m curious, other than Nate, how many successful airline pilots has Axiom produced? ATP has been in business training pilots for the airlines as long as Nate has been alive (give or take a couple) and has literary had thousands of students hired by the airlines in that time. If it were me and my $90k to invest in my future, I’d feel much better going with a known history of success (which is what I did).

Finally again if it were me and my $90k to spend, I’d feel alot more confident (and safe) flying in new and late model Pipers and Cessnas, the 2 most successful (and arguably the safest) training and popular aircraft of all time vs an Italian made Cessna copy with limited production and history. Further since the Comanche stopped being built in 1972, their twin is at least 50 yrs old.

I guess my question is why would you move across the country for Axiom when there’s probably an ATP location close to your home?

Adam

Joseph,
I’m unfamiliar with Axiom, but wanted to see if you’ve done your research a bit on the school before committing…

how long is the program?
What’s the total cost?
How many airline pilots have they trained?
Any job opportunities after program completion?
What’s their safety record like?
How new are their airplanes and avionics?

Why I’m asking you all this… there is a program that offers all of those things already. Upfront training cost, a determined program duration, trained thousands of airline pilots and had job opportunities to get you to the final goal- the interview room at a regional. If that’s the goal, why look anywhere else? You will find places can be two of three things… cheap, fast, or good. Axiom may be cheaper, and most likely not fast… good? Well I can’t answer that one. ATP on the other hand is fast and good, but quality comes at a price.

-Hannah

Jordan,

Thanks so much for reaching out I really appreciate it! Picking the right flight school is such a tough feat to conquer. I have been drafting my response to you in my head for a few days now but I knew I had to email you right away when I saw you name on the back on an ATP brochure. Today I toured ATP DAB and was given two booklet’s when I walked in. Got the tour, saw the planes and sims, then asked away with questions amounts a few students and instructors. On my way out I met with a program director and she was showing me (in the booklet I was given) how to get in touch with a finance people, we kept talking for a few mins and out of the corner of my eye I saw your name with a quote and thumbnail pic, I thought to myself, I’m pretty sure she emailed me in the airline pilot life group. Sure enough that’s you!!

I was very impressed with ATP Daytona Beach! Based on my previous flight school experience (I was flying part time and working and going to school online) I know how to prepare and how to focus my time and energy. It seems that people who have the horror stories about ATP were not putting in the work outside of the flying and I think that is what will make or break you (Nate said the same).

Is there anything you wish you could tell yourself before training that you know now? Anything that you found helpful when deciding on which flight school?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

I know you directed your question to Jordan, but I will jump in here in the meantime. When looking for a flight school, I looked for ones that produced airline pilots. Not private pilots, not “we helped two guys get a commercial license last year”, I wanted a school that produced hundreds of airline pilots per year.

I got my private through a small, local school. While they were okay-ish, I very quickly realized that they had zero experience in producing professional pilots and that my flight training would take forever if I stuck with them. I began searching for a larger school and the rest they say is history.

Chris