Older and... starting ATP in January '19

I am the wife of a man that is thinking about training to be a pilot at 40. I am most concerned about the upfront cost, we do not have it and it would all be a loan if we qualify, and the turn around to pay if off. Of course the what ifs if something should change healthwise making him unable at any point before 65 to stop flying. We have been serving abroad as missionaries for a long time and he would go back to the US alone for about 2+ years and only visit us until we are able to finish the adoption of our foster kids and we can all move to the US. So he will have the time to do something intensive and fast paced but it will be hard to be apart from the family. It also give us the advantage for any flight school as location is open to anywhere in the US at this point even though we have several places that would make more sense long term and good for the whole family at the time we join him. Just looking for a little info shared to me as the spouse wanting to best support my husband if we decide this is something our family commits to.

Melissa,

Not sure exactly what you want to hear? Yes flight training is expensive. Yes there’s a possibility that a person’s health could prematurely end their career. There’s also the possibility he could be unsuccessful in his training. While this isn’t rocket science it does require certain skills, coordination and intelligence that not everyone possesses.

That said the rewards can be great. Not just financially but most pilots find their jobs very satisfying but it does require a fair amount of sacrifice in the beginning. Also on the plus side the industry is doing exceptionally well. There’s a worldwide pilot shortage that has driven up salaries and increased the chances of getting hired (at least at the Regional level) to the point where it’s almost guaranteed.

Ultimately this is something for you and your husband to decide. I recommend you take a look at the FAQ section. It will answer many of the logistical questions.

Adam

Melissa,

Most people do not have $80k laying around and instead chose to finance their flight training, just as I suspect most people do with advanced level college. Take a look at a thread in the FAQ section called “What Pilots Really Earn”, it will help explain pilot salaries in depth.

I have to say, two years apart sounds like a long time, but that is up to you two. As Adam said, take a look at the FAQ section. After that, we would be happy to help answer any questions.

Chris

Hey all,

I’m new this forum but have been browsing along. I’m open to anyone’s feedback. I am facing the situation of “am I too old?” But with a twist. I’m currently living in Chicago and going to school for my Master’s Degree in Health Administration at the ripe old age of 27. I was doing a project on how airlines are adjusting and preparing for the shortage of pilots by making it a bit more lucrative profession and how healthcare could mimic these processes with physicians.
Anyway, here I am neck deep in grad school in a career I’ve been working towards for the past 5 years, and i picture myself a pilot and feel a rush of exciement and anxiety not knowing if I’ve propped my ladder of success against the wrong wall.
I’m not on this forum to ask anyone to solve my “quarter life crisis.”I’m genuinely curious to know if making a switch after working in healthcare could work. My dad is pilot by hobby and that has been his passion his whole life. I always enjoyed going with him, but he would tell me often that it wasn’t a career that would be conducive to having a family. Then I spent this past summer working in Alaska for a fishing lodge that did fly-in fishing tours and the bug really bit me then. Then while doing this project I see that FedEx and UPS pilots can make up towards $250,000. So i have questions I’m wondering if anyone can answer for.

And for the record, I have committed to myself to finish grad school. I’m in a great position and want to use this opportunity for good. I’m married with no kids yet and so I want to make sure i am in a position to provide for my family in the near future.
That being said I have a few questions:

1. For those of you who have jumped from one career to being a pilot. Did you have a family? What were the adjustments you had to go through during that switch and also while building scenority?
  2. Are FedEx and UPS that lucrative? What would it be like starting out for an airline like that?
  3. Please tell me if you think I am crazy and just need to go back to studying Human Resource Managment.

Again, anyone willing to give feedback it would be much appreciated. I’ve always enjoyed being involved in healthcare, but it’s becoming more of a business and policy driven. It’s hard to put the image out of my head of flying while the sunsets and having that spectacular feeling.

Thank you

Not really sure I understand your question or your dilemma and I see no “twist”? IF you really read any of the age related posts you’d know they come from people in their 40s and 50s. At 27 there’s no age question and if you’re still in school there’s no career that you’re bailing on. To fly for a Major you’ll need a degree and yours will work fine as any. As for your questions:

1. Again you’re not changing careers so not sure how this applies but some pilots have families and some don’t. The first years require some sacrifice but that applies to many careers.

2. FedEx and UPS are great airlines but they don’t pay any better than any of the other Major airlines in the US. (who are all btw topping out at $300k+, not $250). You would not be “starting out” at either however. Flying for Major is the pinnacle of this profession and takes years to achieve.

3. There are people who walk away from 6 figure jobs and businesses they’ve spent decades building. They have spouses, children and mortgages and make tremendous sacrifices to attempt to fulfill their dreams. I’m sorry but frankly I don’t see your conundrum?

This is a grownup decision that only you can make.

Adam

I don’t really see where your situation has a “twist” to it more than anybody else’s. I was mid way through a business degree when I decided to change gears and fly, plenty of people are the exact same way. Keep in mind though that flying is not just sunsets and gorgeous views, it is hard work, long days and nights and sometimes mentally taxing. In short, it becomes a job just like any profession does. Now it is a job that I love doing, but it is one that can require a lot of you.

1 Like

There are some articles in the FAQ section that covers pilot salaries. That should give you a good idea of what to expect starting out. In short, this industry standards have come a long way, but there will still be some sacrifices. Having a supportive family is what is most important.

No one starts out at FedEx or UPS. They hire pilots with thousands of hours and preferably with turbine PIC time, which takes at least 5 years to acquire. If cargo is your end goal you should expect to fly for a regional at the very least. Most large cargo airlines require heavy (aircraft with max takeoff weight of 300k lb or more) experience.

Tory

Hi Everybody,

I wanted to give you an update on what happened since January:
I eventually did sign up and started my training at ATP in Tampa (KPIE) mid January. Yes, at age 51, I jumped right into it. I started with credit for Private. So, finally, instead of relying on other people’s experience and opinions, I now can relate to it myself and share my own story first hand.

As we all know by now, ATP’s format requires students to be self-motivated, disciplined and, simply put, hard working. No handholding, no babysitting. A lot of things seem a little chaotic and the instructors are noticeably young, mostly inexperienced aviators but, with few exceptions, are trying the best. The rest is on you. You simply have to put in your time and dedication or you might not make it through the program. The pace is high but not excessive. Perfectly doable (and I still am working on the side as a software developer doing contractual work for my former employer).

As a 51 year old, I may approach things a little differently than most of my fellow flight students in their 20’s. But I liked it and often enough kept a silent smile listening to the background-noise, gossip and drama of some who loudly complain about pretty much everything. I quickly found my group of peers who gave the training the seriousness it deserves, and I can honestly share I am enjoying it.

I struggled a little bit in the instrument phase, plateauing at some point before I broke through. But knowing it ultimately depended on me and nobody and nothing else, I put countless long days of studying in, a good number of lonely and silent nights in the simulator until I got things down. Got my instrument rating without a bust. I was lucky to be scheduled right away for crew with a great partner from another ATP location. Moved on to Commercial, passed my checkride with no bust either, and now am off to CFI school, starting in 2 weeks. Since I’m one of the last who signed up under the old 50 multi-engine program, I got some really cool flying in the Seminole in and look forward to more of it when I finish my ME towards the end of the program.

So, here I am, a little over 4 months after my start: Instrumented rated commercial pilot. I look forward to the experience in CFI school. And to those who are alarmed by the many different opinions voiced in the forum, my 2 cents are: Know what YOU want, and realize it has nothing to do with what OTHERS think, do or experience. Put in the work, find your peers and get your certs. I am enjoying my journey and make the best out of what is.

Cheers,
Oliver

8 Likes

Oliver,

Thanks for the update and the great attitude. At 55 I spend many days just smiling and shaking and my head at my 12yo peckerhead FOs but it’s all good. You know what’s important and you know there are really things in life worth complaining about which is why inevitably you will be successful and LOVE your job.

Keep up the good work.

Adam

2 Likes

Well said, Oliver.

Tory

1 Like

Oliver,

I am glad that you are doing so well in the program. Thank you for the update, keep them coming.

Chris

Oliver I’m seeking a little more insight from your experiences. I’ve just recently started the program from 0 time and would like to know what exactly you mean by “the pace is high but not excessive”. I too (yet) don’t find it to be as excessive as many say but I do feel the fast pace in it. I can’t compare it to a slower mom and pop flight school as I haven’t had the experience so I wouldn’t know. With your experience I’m looking to know what to expect as I progress through the program.

Hi Ankel,

I’m not quite sure what your question is exactly. Regarding the program’s pace, it is high in that it does not allow you much slack. The program outline has all events already scheduled out and you feel the constant pressure to get your performance up to par (which I find great). Training at a Mom ‘n Pop school has next to no structure and no pressure at all. You, the student, determine how much and how often and how long you want to fly and study. Chances are, if you work on your certificate on the side, next to a daily job or other occupation, it may take you a year or so to finish up. And then you only really just started. ATP (or similar other schools) make you work dedicatedly … especially when you remind yourself of the check you just cut for the next phase :smile:

You ask what you can expect?
Frankly, you can expect to get out what you put in. Peer up with the right people, ignore the complainers and have an honest, sincere and genuine interest in making this work for you. See everything with a grain of salt, expect some challenges here and there, persist and you will be fine. … after all, it’s no different than anything else in life, isn’t it. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Oliver

3 Likes

Thanks Oliver :grin:

Hi Adam, Tory and Chris,

Thanks as always for your feedback. From the beginning on and before, I have valued your candid takes on my questions and comments.

I took a chance leaving a well paid, cushy job behind and jumped all in. Scary proposition at my age. But I did it anyway and so far, I don’t regret it at all. It is quite an excitement and exercise of “life”. I feel alive again and find the uncertainty actually invigorating ha ha. Besides, I got my old brain challenged again, feel physically and mentally fit and look forward to what is yet to come. As one of you once said, I most likely have no chance to make it to a major, and that insight was the premise upon which I entered this adventure. I find excitement in flying pretty cool equipment and being part of the system. I am still running my software business and am looking forward to flying for a good Regional and who knows what happens later on. The community is smaller than one thinks. I’m making connections and the rest is totally open… Keep it rolling. Don’t settle.

Thanks guys.
Oliver

2 Likes

Oliver, where are you attending CFI school?

Hi Sergey,

I will be in JAX.

Oliver

Hello Everybody,

Another update. After almost 2 months, I just passed my CFI checkride and concluded CFI school in JAX. It took me a lil longer as I had to address a family situation abroad and interrupt my program. I was able to return and finish up.

My experience was intense. A lot of work and cramming, pressure, moments of anxiety, mild panic ha, great study buddies, room mates and shared suffering ha ha, determination and willpower. It all worked out. FOI’s and lesson plans were a bit of a challenge. But other than that, it was a great experience.

A’righty so far I made it through the program without a bust. Looking forward to the CFII and ME commercial and MEI. Should be done in September. I can’t believe I’m almost done and have just a bit to complete the whole program. I have to admit, it was more work than I thought it would be. Maybe because I’m a lil older. But a great journey so far. Looking forward to punching through now and finishing up.

4 Likes

Oliver,

Congratulations and thank you for the update. Keep up the good work, you will be finished before you know it.

Chris

Well done, sir! Keep pushing forward!