Oral book

From your personal experience which book has actually helped the most for a private pilot Checkride the blue asa book or the Gleim acs oral book some people tell me the blue book has a lot of useless info I don’t know if it’s true since I’ve never taken a check ride thanks for the help

German,

I think I may have mentioned this before but I’m curious why you’re not having these conversations with your instructor and why your instructor isn’t prepping you for your checkride. The books are great but there’s nothing better than actually being tested by someone who’s familiar and has been through the process.

Adam

1 Like

You did sorry for me asking this question a lot I’m stressing over the oral exam my Cfi said to choose any book he is a new cfi I am getting ground school from him but he wants me to choose the book thanks for the help

German,

I agreed with what Adam says.

And I also believe I posted before, but as I said previously, I found the Gleim book to be more helpful in the long run, but you should do whatever works best for you. I had both. If you can afford both, I’d get both. If you can afford only one, I’d say Gleim.

The ASA blue book is more akin to the questions on the written exam; it was fairly helpful in studying for that; I actually had their study buddy smart phone app, which was helpful (it’s actually what I used when studying for the written, and that is the app that I took practice tests in, and sent the results of 3 of them to my instructor showing a 90%+ score on each, before he endorsed me to take the written.)

That being said, if you are talking about the checkride, and not the written, I found the Gleim book to be more beneficial for that. As I mentioned, the first portion is a complete version of the ACS. The second half is a study guide for the oral portion of the checkride, and has study questions based on subject category. It is very well laid out and structured in my opinion, was easy to follow, and I found it to prepare me very well for the oral portion of the checkride.

German,

I’ll go one step further; if you’re that worried, I’ll do you a solid and I’ll gladly send you my Gleim book, free of charge. Since I passed my PPL back in May, I no longer need it, to be honest. Let me know if you’re interested.

German,

Please don’t be sorry. We’re here to answer your questions and hope I didn’t convey anything to the contrary. I’m simply saying there’s no one who would or should know more about what YOU need to study than YOUR instructor. They should know your strengths and weaknesses and also be somewhat familiar with the examiner and the way they run their checkrides.

If they don’t I might be looking for a new instructor.

Adam

German,

Chris likes ASA. Several other students on this forum have mentioned they like Gleim. Others say Kings. I’m sure everyone’s opinion has everything to do with whichever one they happened to be using and if they passed their check ride. Just pick one, but know that one book alone is not enough. I like to point out that the ACS should be your guide. Each section lists the applicable texts. Since everything is fair game, everything mentioned in the ACS is your study guide. I would also recommend asking any CFI that’s not your primary CFI to give you a mock oral.

Tory

1 Like

I am a big fan of the blue ASA book.

Ok thank you if you can send it it would be great thanks

Shoot me an email when you have a moment with your info. and I’ll get it right out to you:

michael.demers82@gmail.com

1 Like