Over 50 & looking for a career change

Jason,

The best way to build hours as a private pilot is to continue your training. I have never been a fan of people stopping at the PPL as you are really counting on the weather consistently being good when you fly. Things happen, fog moves in, rain showers pop up and snow starts earlier than expected. I would begin work on your instrument right after the PPL, you might be glad you did someday.

If your plan is to be a professional pilot and you want to do it in the time frame that you specified you are going to need to go to a school that offers fast paced training. You will find that the training there will keep you more than busy, you wonā€™t have time to worry about extra flight time.

Chris

Jason,

I am going to second Adam here in that you and I would not spend a single week extra in training that is unnecessary. I have seen several pilots at United who were hired over age 55. It certainly isnā€™t the norm, but it is happening.

I am not familiar with St. Pete Air. What made you chose them?

Chris

Jason,

Iā€™m not familiar with St Pete Air either but obviously I am with ATP (and Iā€™m also a fan since thatā€™s where I did my training). Nothing wrong with St Pete as far as I know but I am curious why you wouldnā€™t want to just bang the whole thing out with ATP? Particularly since time is a factor.

Adam

Hey Adam and Chris,

I wanted to do the entire thing at ATP that was my goal. But when I called last week the gentleman I spoke with said I have to get my PPL and 80 hours before I can be accepted to ATP. Because I donā€™t have my PPL or a college degree. It was a bit discouraging mostly because I dropped outta college to raise my now 18 year old son.

Itā€™s kind of a weird rule if you think about it in a business point of view. Why give those 80 hours to another school?

Jason,

The rule is PPL or degree OR ā€œequivalent work experienceā€ (which is clearly stated on their website https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/enrollment.html). The reason this rule is in place is because ATP has had some issues with young people right out of high school. The ATP program is not an easy one. It requires a great amount of hard work and discipline and frankly they need some evidence that a person is capable of this kind of commitment.

I would recommend you call back and give them an idea of your work history. I believe you would be able to do the entire program, including your Private, if you so desire.

Sounds good Adam. Thank you for the clarification. I will call them after the holidays.

Hello! I have loved aviation my whole life but havent been able to do anything about it until now (financially) the other bad thing, I am 53ā€¦I know I am too old to be a commercial pilot but not too old to change my career from medicine to aviation? I used to teach ophthalmology and now I would like to be a CFIā€¦ I have already started the process (studying etc) but am I being realistic at 53 and a woman? Thanks!

Jealous here, I so want to live in Clearwater/Tampa area, if I make it one day, maybe Ill run into you at one of the local flight schools LOL

Hi Paula,

Yes at 53 the chances of you making it to the airlines is unlikely, but not impossible. Mandatory retirement for the airlines is 65 so in theory you could work for about 10 years after youā€™re done training and building time. The good news is as long as you can maintain your medical you can instruct indefinitely. I donā€™t know your financial situation but most local flight schools arenā€™t busy enough for you to make a ton of money. But if youā€™re looking for a side job or simply to do something you enjoy thereā€™s no reason not to give it a try.

Adam

Paula,

If your goal is to be a CFI then I do not see any issue at all with your age. Just make sure to do your research about what being a CFI will pay you both at ATP and at other schools as I am assuming that you might want to instruct at a local flight school. I do not see your age being a factor in this at all.

Chris

Yeah. Itā€™s beautiful out there. Never know.

This question is directed to Adam ā€œresident old guyā€ as he says :wink:

Adam,

Did anyone have any concerns with you getting your 3rd class medical? I understand the sensitivity of the question. Iā€™m asking because Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m going to receive a lot of raised eye brows when I go for my 3rd class medical? Should I even be concerned about it now?

Jason,

Thinking you mean FIRST Class medical as thatā€™s what you need to get hired and fly for an airline? But regardless (First, Second or Third), fortunately Iā€™ve never had any issues and AMEs see plenty of ā€œolderā€ pilots (many are older pilots themselves). Unless youā€™re aware of any known issues you shouldnā€™t have a problem. Besides, donā€™t you know 50 is the new 30 :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you Adam

Anytime, feel feee to come back with any questions you may have. We are always here to help :slight_smile:

I really appreciate that, thank you, I wish someone could help me with my motivation! LOL Happy Holidays Everyone!

Sorry Paula,

Thatā€™s one problem I never had.

Adam

Me either until recently, I just feel I am too old and its a complete waste of time (at my age)ā€¦i wake up everyday kicking myself in the you-know-what for not perusing this dream 30 years agoā€¦I guess better late than never LOL

I am with you, James, 53 and wanting to switch my focus and attention in aviation, I guess better late than never LOL