Paperwork for airline job

Hi, Everyone.

I am curious about the various paperwork involved in the airline hiring process. What are all the documents you need to provide throughout the application/interview?

Obviously the logbook and other documentation of your flying qualifications, but what about additional financial, medical, etc. info? Anything I might not think of?

Still a long way off for me but I figure it’s never too soon to start getting organized!

Thanks in advance for your responses. I learn so much from these forums every day.

Best,

-Noah

Noah,

The airline will send you a list prior to your interview. As best I can remember it’ll be:
License
Medical
Logbooks
Passport
Drivers License
Radio Permit
Birth Certificate
DMV Record
College Transcript
Letters of Recommendation

Think that’s it? If I’m missing something I’m sure others will chime in.

Fun fact: at my Regional interview they stated in the invite all the documentation they required and asked that they be paperclipped in a specific order. When we arrived they collected everyone’s docs and we watched a presentation about the airline. After, they called out 3 or 4 names. The pilots walked to the front of the room where their paperwork was returned to them. They were then thanked for their time and sent home. The presenters went on to say the pilots sent home had their paperwork in the wrong order and if you can’t follow some very basic instruction they had no reason to believe you’d do so on the line.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Adam. Quick on the draw as always.

Doesn’t seem like any real surprises on that list. For some reason I thought there might be more obscure documents required. I swear I heard something about financial records once. Every year around this time (tax season) I start wishing I kept my paperwork more organized.

I love that story about your regional interview and the importance of attention to detail. I’m going to share that one with my high school students. I’m always trying to convince them that the little things do matter. If a college professor says 12-point Times New Roman, you can’t be coming in with that Comic Sans…

Appreciated,

-Noah

Noah,

I’ve never heard of them asking for any financial records. They will however run your credit so if you’ve got some issues you definitely will want to work on cleaning it up.

Glad I could help. Good advice for you as well when you start flying!

Adam

Ah maybe it was the credit check I was thinking of.

Another advantage to starting a little later in life (I’m 33): it gave me some time to build my credit. I barely knew what credit was when I graduated college.

Thanks again!

-Noah

A friend told me PSA is asking for documents related to checkride failures.

If you lose the one the DPE gives you, The only place to get the document is from the FAA via snail mail and it can take six months.

I know because I have 2 buddies who recently needed these docs and didn’t have them anymore. This is new because when I applied and interviewed they only required an explanation.

Chris F

Thank you, Chris. Hopefully I won’t bust any checkrides, but if I do I’ll make sure to hold on to the paperwork!

-Noah

Chris,

Interesting. I have never heard of that before, but there is a first time for everything. Thank you for sharing this.

Chris

I don’t know if it’s standard procedure for everyone.

My friend called me last week and asked if I knew how to get them because they can’t move further through the process without the documents.

Chris F