Parking tickets

Hey guys,

I’ve never had a speeding ticket or any sort of trouble with the law… other than a bunch of parking tickets from going to school in Boston.

My granddad is retired Delta, and I have a good friend who currently flies for Jet Blue, both of whom would write me a recommendation when I finish ATP and start applying.

Are the tickets a career killer?

Josiah,

Parking ticket aren’t moving or traffic violations and therefore will not show up on your driving record. HOWEVER, if you neglected to pay for the tickets and the City of Boston obtained a judgment against you then that will show up on your credit and you will need to explain why you were not only so irresponsible getting the tickets, you compounded the offense by failing to pay your debts.

Adam

Josiah,

I doubt that the tickets will be a big deal, but your attitude towards them might be. The tickets are not “from going to school in Boston”, they are from you parking illegally in Boston.

Chris

I’m making sure I have nothing currently unpaid. But when I was younger I was irresponsable with paying tickets. What kind of explanation would I give to an interviewer?

Josiah,

I always recommend being honest. If you feel some remorse or responsibility then you should say so, if not don’t. Interviewers are usually pretty good at telling the difference.

Adam

Really appreciate the responses!

I just got my driving record and don’t have any infractions on it. What other checks do the airlines do? I’ve never been arrested or anything, I just want to see if my unpaid tickets are documented anywhere.

Thanks

Josiah,

Very thorough background check. If you’re clean you’ll be fine, if you have any skeletons they will know.

Adam

No one is perfect. The best thing you can do is be honest. It doesn’t matter if tickets, arrests, misdemeanors, felonies, etc. are on record or not. Airline interviewers ask “Have you ever…?” Not, “What does your record look like?” Or, “What has been expunged from your record?” Some applicants try to outsmart the system and withhold information or flat out lie. No matter how blemished your record is or isn’t, getting caught in a lie is a quick way to end an interview.

Tory

Hi, I had a similar issue, I got a parking ticket for parking in front of someones driveway by a inch, I payed the ticket, but will this be an issue, the vehicle registration was under my mom’s name, and I was under the insurance

Brandon,

The FAA and the airlines are concerned with moving violations, not parking tickets. As long as you don’t get enough to get your license suspended go crazy and park where you like.

Adam

Oh ok, thank you so much

Brandon

Brandon,
If the airlines were concerned with parking tickets, I’d be in trouble haha. We had quite the campus parking police in my day…

-Hannah

Hi Hannah,
When you interviewed with the airlines, would they ask any questions about it?

Brandon,

Parking tickets are generally considered civil fines and as such are not part of a criminal record. I would not worry about this at all, it sounds like an over-zealous parking enforcement officer to me.

Chris

And no, I do not see the airlines asking any questions about this. If they did, just tell them what happened and that you have been extra sure to follow all parking rules with caution since. Case closed.

Oh ok, thank you for the clarification

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

No I wasn’t asked about any parking tickets as they do not come up on any background checks.

-Hannah