Path way

what do you think about the flow-through programs flight schools offer?

Dawit,

That depends greatly on the school and the program. Regardless of any offer you need to do well in order to take advantage of it. I’d be more concerned with the school, their reputation and the quality of their instruction. Do well and the offers will come.

Adam

what do you think about united aviate or atp

Dawit,

Full disclosure, if you look up and to the left you’ll see a small ATP logo. This is ATPs forum and all the mentors here are successful grads of the program. We are not salesman nor are we trying to get you to sign up for the program. But we were all where you are now. Wanting a career in aviation and trying to find the best route there. After doing our research we determined that was ATP, so yes we are a little biased.

ATP has been training pilots for the airlines for over 35yrs and thousands of their grads are flying for the airlines. In short the program works.

As for Aviate it appears to be a great program for people who want to fly for United. My only caveat is the program is relatively new and we haven’t seen any results as of yet. That said we are talking about United and they do know what they’re doing.

I encourage you to browse this forum. There are many threads on the Aviate program and also visit our FAQ for more info on ATP, as well as their website.

Adam

I will thank you for the information, but if these path way programs work then why go to college?

Dawit,

First, I never said “these programs work”. Further this is why, as I said, you should do some reading. In fact the Aviate program says very clearly that by the time you get to United you need to have a 4yr degree. The only program that doesn’t specify you need a degree is American and they will, without question, preference pilots with degrees. The point of the flows is to provide an easier path to a Major. It is not so someone can take a shortcut on the requirements.

The longer answer to your question is because flows can be shut down at any time for any reason. There are zero guarantees and without a degree there a good chance your pilot career could come to a screeching halt.

Adam

1 Like

Dawit,
You haven’t given much info on your background, but for all of us mentors ATP was the fastest and most efficient way for us to achieve our goals. It’s quite a commitment both financially and life style wise but we found it completely worth it.
As for flow programs, it’s the most direct path to the major meaning you may not have to go anywhere else from their affiliated regional or interview again so yoy could slide through without a degree. However, it’s incredibly risky to put your entire career in that hope. Plus in the flow program, you are lined up staff for that major to pull when they feel like it. They can hire outside of it and only pull from there when needed… It could decelerate or pause entirely at anytime. I’m not one for those kind of programs, they seem passive and lazy. I prefer taking my career in to my own hands.

-Hannah

1 Like

how long do you think pilots stay at the regionals before going to the major airlines

Dawit,

Anywhere from 2yrs to forever.

PLEASE visit our FAQ section and ATPs website as you’ll find the answer to this in far more detail.

Adam

Dewitt,

There is some really good information both on our FAQ site and on ATP’s website: Pilot Career Guide / ATP Flight School

Please give those pages a good look and feel free to follow up with questions.

My thoughts on the pathways are that they can be good, but that I would never want to rely solely on a program that had me pointed just towards one airline. There are so many great airlines to work for, it seems very limiting to focus on just one so early in a career. Also, many of the pathway programs that lead to the major airlines require a degree.

Chris

1 Like