Pay?

Earv,

I’d say that you can bet on a take-home of $2000-$3000/mo nowadays at most regionals. The rumor is that one of the airlines is going to bump up first year pay to $50/hr and that will cause the rest to follow.

Yarden

1 Like

@Yarden @Adam

Thanks for the insite!! :slight_smile: I wonder what regional plans on starting at $50 I hope its like that when I start in applying in early 2019 :frowning:

2 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Hi Yarden,

The take-home you mentioned of $2k-$3k flying for the regionals, does that include per diem?

Also as a 51 year old with a current private certificate and half way through my instrument rating as I’m considering going through the ATP program. I understand it’s unrealistic of me to fly for the majors and have a better chance of flying for the regionals provided I’m able to keep a 1st class medical. How realistic is it for me to get a job flying for a private or corporate company making more money than the regionals pay after completing the ATP program?

Emmit,

Yes, the calculation included per diem. But that is a very rough estimate, last month I brought in more than that.

Regarding your question about corporate flying, it really depends on who you know. It is usually really hard to land a good corporate gig (flying Gulfstreams or Challengers for example) without knowing someone. The other way is to work your way up from the bottom just like any other flying job, but that obviously takes a lot more time.

Yarden

Emmit,

Ever since the Majors started hiring there has been a greater demand for corporate pilots as well. As Yarden said many corporate gigs are more based on connections and word of mouth. Also keep in mind most corporate gigs while not having the 1500hr Rule do have insurance requirements which can be as strict as that of the airlines. While not impossible I don’t see you getting hired right out of the program. More realistic would be instructing, building some time and either going to a Regional or possibly flight dept with smaller aircraft (KingAirs, Pilatus, etc) and working your way up.

Adam

Yarden, Adam,

I appreciate your feedback. So at my age realistically after going through the program it’s more likely I’ll have a chance of going to the regional’s after building time as an instructor.

Just to clarify when I referenced corporate flying, I’m referring to being able to fly for a company like Silver Airways or something similar like I’ve seen VLogs from Steveo1kinevo who flys TBM’s out of Florida. Is this unrealistic? I just want to make sure I utilize my time wisely considering my age and time left to pursue a job in aviation.

Emmit

Emmit,

Silver Airways is not a corporate gig but an airline that you should have no problem getting employed by. I’m not familiar with Vlogs but when I mentioned lesser or entry level corporate gigs, flying a TBM would fall in there as well. I don’t think you’re being unrealistic at all.

Adam

While we are on the subject of Pay!! What does it mean when an airline states on their website as part of their pay and benefits package “150 - 200% Premium Pay”??

Thanks,
Charles.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

Sorry to jump back to scheduling but I unfortunately missed that window and am returning to it :smile:

This is a 2 part question and very far down the line but I have always been intrigued with aviation and how the industry works.

I’m going to use Yarden as an example since he’s with the RJs and they tend to have more short haul flights going on in a day vs Chris going EWR to SAN or Adam flying HNL to LAS. Hypothetical he flys from ORD to PHL and is supposed to double back to ORD followed by a few more flights but gets snowed in for a few hours and they cancel the return to ORD. Now I understand they use reserves since Yarden won’t be back for the other flights, Do they bring in more reserves to fill those now vacant spots at ORD or just leave them vacant until the next shift AND does Yarden just stick around until he can jump seat a flight back or do they stick him in a reserve spot at PHL incase the same happens for a flight coming to PHL that never shows.

Also @Adam VLogs are Video Blogs. Basically what Ryan from Prop and Gear did for his ATP journey. Jeez you old…um more wise guys need to catch up! :joy:

2 Likes

Charles,

That means that at certain times pilots are paid an extra incentive do pick up extra trips. Think of it like it is over time or double time. Typically when the airline has more unassigned trips than it does reserve pilots they will offer this incentive to get pilots to pick up extra trips. It is very effective.

Chris

Hey Tom,

So the situation you described is actually pretty simple. Lets say it is a 6 leg day and the PHL turn is leg 1 and 2. Now I’m stuck in PHL (which is 2hrs from ORD), so they call in a short call reserve to fill in for me for the rest of the trip, or until I get back from PHL (and I might even pick up whatever is left when I get back.
Now if I wasn’t getting back to ORD anytime soon, then they would probably put me in a hotel and get me on the next available flight back. But since PHL is not a domicile, it is not likely that I would sit reserve there.

Reserve for a domicile is usually staffed with three layers of reservists which are long-call (12hrs), short-call (2hrs) and ready reserves (sitting at the airport with a 20min callout). Depending on the situation, a different type of reservist is called to fill in. So in this case where they probably know that they will not have a crew for legs 3-6, and it’s 2hrs or more before departure, they will call in a short-call.

Let me know if this does not make sense.

Yarden

1 Like

Yarden,

Completely makes since and absolutely fascinates me how it works. And I know the airlines have had plenty of years for trial and error to perfect it.

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, much better than a poke in the eye…

So I’ve heard of just picking up trips that need pilots to be assigned to as “picking up open time”. Could it be more worth it and could you end up making more money if you bid for a minimum line then picked up trips that pay 200% or whatever percent extra?

Joel,

Yes, that could be more lucrative, but the gamble is that those trips aren’t always available and you might end up being stuck with a low credit line.

Chris