Personal life as student/instructor

Hello!

I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. I know you’re very busy as a student and instructor. But I’m interested in wondering if you have any type of personal life outside of ATP during that time? Studying outside of being at your location is crucial but just wanted to see how you balance putting in the studying and having a social life

I’m a current student so I can’t speak to the instructor side of things but being a student can feel almost like having two full time jobs. Its really all you do. I do find occasional time to play a few rounds of disc golf and generally my evenings are free but that’s only if I’ve been putting every other hour available towards study. That’s just the nature of this program.

-Jack

1 Like

Thanks for the response Jack! Have you enjoyed the program so far? Do you feel like you’re able to get a great understanding of the information in a short period of time?

There have been portions so far that I’ve enjoyed, but at the same time there have been some days that were real struggles. I don’t at all regret my decision to go to ATP but it is a lot of work. Understanding the information in such a short period of time is quite a challenge but doable. However, it is at least 95% self study. I grew up homeschooled and then did my college online so I was already used to that. If you do ATP, your enjoyment will ebb and flow but I still think its the best option outside of a traditional college for flight training.

Jon,

You seem to understand that there’s a tremendous amount of learning that needs to take place in a short period of time. Obviously some people learn faster than others. If you’re blessed with that ability you may have a small amount of time for a personal life. If you’re not then you won’t. What’s important is the training and working as hard as you can to be successful. Honestly until you’re in it and are actually experiencing the pace and volume of training it’s best to assume you’ll have zero personal time as more times than not that’s the case.

Adam

1 Like

Jon,
I’d like to echo some of what others have said. It depends on how you handle the rigors of the program. For some, it’s demanding but with good study habits and time management they find ways to enjoy an afternoon off, weekend day off, etc. For those that struggle maintaining the pace, every hour of the day is accounted for and sometimes it’s still not enough. It really depends on your habits.
-Hannah

3 Likes

Jon,

Absolutely!! You can have a great personal life outside of ATP with friends and family. The key here is, how much you do it. If your idea of a social life is a full weekend getaway hanging out, or going to the bar multiple times a week till 2am, no… But I regularly have time to talk to my friends. My wife and I of course have our home life.

I have time at least once every week that I can do a little outing with a small group of friends that isn’t too long. I have left the training center at 6pm, met my wife and our friends at this little Italian restaurant, and we had a meal together and I was home by 8pm and still studied.

I think it’s all about maximizing your time, and having an enjoyable personal life while attending ATP is not only possible, but I’d encourage it.

3 Likes