Ph D. Computer Engineer 38 y.o. Interested start Pilot career

Dear Sirs,

I have a doctorate in computer engineering but my passion has always been aviation, so I would like to obtain my certificate as a private pilot and later commercial, I have no previous knowledge and I was born in 1982 (38 yo). Do you think it would be too late to start?. How long does it take to get it?,
Is it difficult to find work as a pilot? Certificate is valid for work in another countries or only in USA?

Thank you very much in advance, best regards.

1 Like

Miguel,

I always find it interesting when people say aviation has always been their passion but wait so long to get started? Not criticizing just saying.

Anyway it’s never to late to get your Private (there are people in their 80s who do). If however you want to fly commercially for an airline, while 38 isn’t old, you do need to get moving. If you choose an accelerated program like ATPs you could have all your licenses and ratings in 9mos. Right now during the pandemic the job market is a little tight but there are definitely still jobs and things are bound to improve.

Finally FAA licenses are valid in some countries but not all. Asia has a fairly simple conversion as does the Middle East. Europe however is a Major process that can take considerable time and training.

I recommend you visit our FAQ section as we outline the process and answer many other common questions.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you very much Adam, I’m living in Houston TX but I’m from Spain Europe so I would need to know if ATP offer conversion between FAA and EASA certificates? How long time necessary and cost?

Thank you again in advance. Best Regards.

Miguel,

ATP does not offer the FAA to EASA conversation training. There’s plenty of info online about the process.

Tory

Perfect, thank you very much for your response Tory. Regards.

Miguel,

ATP does not offer a conversion. Along those lines a couple of points:

First to work as a pilot in the US you must either be a citizen or have permanent resident status (that includes flight instructing). Second the EASA conversion, as I understand it, really doesn’t offer many shortcuts over the full program. If you’re goal is to fly in Europe you’re probably best off doing your training there.

Adam

Thank you very much Adam for the information and view points. Then I have to think about if is better training here with ATP in the hope of obtaining a green card, or wait to be in Europe. Best Regards.

Miguel,

You will have to have a green card in order to train with ATP.

Chris