Physical Appearance

Hello! Does American Airlines allow their male pilots to have long hair?

Quintin,

Recently a couple of airlines have changed their uniform policies to provide more “gender neutral” standards. I don’t believe American is one of them.

Adam

Thanks for the answers. Who are those couple airlines that adjusted their Standards? My hair is extremely import part of my self esteem and I also want to become an American Airlines captain :confused:

Quintin,

United and JetBlue have made some adjustments but at this point I don’t believe they’ve gotten to hair quite yet.

As for your esteem let me say this. Becoming a Capt for a Legacy airline like American is the pinnacle of this industry. If and when that happens for you, I hope that would be all the esteem boost you’d ever need.

Adam

1 Like

Quintin,
I think the shift in appearance policies were to get closer aligned to the times we are in and be more inclusive with gender non-conformity. There is still the same expectations about professional appearance. Unfortunately long hair for men is just not seen as professional grooming standards. I think it could be a while before that ever changes.
Is your hair really worth not pursuing the career at all? Just something to think about…
-Hannah

Quinton,

I checked with a friend at AA and long hair is still prohibited for men and there is zero chance of that changing anytime soon. The same is true for most, if not all, airlines.

Chris

Yeah and that’s where the problem comes in, it’s is just so irritating. Literally no passenger is going to look at a man with long hair and think they cannot fly a plane just because their hair is long.

I love the airport, I love flying, I love traveling, and I love my hair equally as much. It is like a child to me. I’ve always wanted to keep it growing and never cut it.

And do women employed in the field have to make sure their hair doesn’t go past a certain length too?

I am 16 years old now, and for American I saw that you have to be 23. I certainly hope 7 years isn’t considered soon for American Airlines. :sweat_smile:

Quinton,

I will almost guarantee you that none of the major airline’s policies will change to allow men to have long hair, ever. And yes, people do want to see a professional looking pilot and no, people do not think that men with long hair look professional. This is one you are going to have to let go if you want to be an airline pilot.

Chris

1 Like

Quintin,
You are still young with regards to this career. You could start working on a private pilots license but we recommend you just focus on high school and then college. If being an airline pilot is your dream, you’ll sacrifice your hair to do it. If it’s not, well you’ll find another career path instead. I don’t think you should pursue any flight training though until you make a decision about what’s most important to you. Sure would be a waste of a lot and time and money if you’re not willing to make that change. Women with long hair are still limited too. It must be pulled back as to not interfere with duties and cannot be past the waist.
As for reaching AA without a degree, it’s possible. However, getting that degree will not only provide more job opportunities for you down the road, it will also prepare you for the rigors of flight training.
-Hannah

1 Like

Quintin,

You’re young and the world to you is a beautiful place not unfortunately you are 100% wrong. People are judged everyday by their appearance and frankly there are some narrow minded folks out there. I’m an old white guy and I apparently offer a comforting appearance to the passengers which is fine. What’s not so fine is that since I am an old white guy people sometimes let their guards down and I’ve heard some really racist, sexist, and every other offensive bigoted type statement you can imagine. It’s not good and it’s not right but it exists. Perhaps one day but it’s not today.

Adam

1 Like