Pilot Career w/criminal history

Hello, so I’m currently 26 with a history of reckless driving. First offense was at age 21, I was going 91/55 and it happened in VA. Got a lawyer and tried my best to get it reduced but VA was not budging. Had previously a clean record did everything from attending a drivers course to doing community service before the hearing and still got charged with the reckless. Second reckless happened at the age of 23. It was a DUI and plead down to a reckless driving. BAC of .16. I’m currently in the Air Force and am aircrew with a Class lll physical that never got revoked. I did have to go talk to a medical provider to see if I was alcohol dependent. Came back cleared without the need to go through a dependency program for alcohol. My drivers license never got revoked but was suspended for about a month to wait for the trial. I’m currently finishing up my degree and will try and apply to commission if I can get waivers and the such to do so and be accepted. My question is if I get accepted and it is a big IF to commission as a pilot in the Air Force, how would my prospects be on the outside with my criminal record. Is a flying career something I should continue to pursue? Or will my criminal record record be too much of a hurdle to overcome?

Alonso,

I would be very surprised if the Air Force commissioned you as a pilot with your record. However, let’s say they do. Provided you are able to keep your record clean, you would probably have an okay chance at getting an airline job.

One thing you need to learn though is that the airlines like pilots who follow the rules, so does the FAA. As a pilot, it does not matter how many education classes you take, or how much trash you pick up, a rule violation is still a rule violation and will be dealt with accordingly, especially an intentional one.

I would recommend that you call the recruiting departments oof several airlines and ask them your question directly.

Chris

Alonso,

I’m going to second everything that Chris said. There’s a whole lot of “ifs” in there, but IF you remain clean going forward, and put some distance between you and your offenses, it’s possible.

Id also like to add your problems have ZERO to do with the state of VA not budging or your ability (or inability) to reduce the sentences. Here’s a tip, if you’re fortunate enough to get a hearing or even a interview ever, you might want to think about showing a little remorse and taking some responsibility. If this were an interview and that was the response you gave when asked (and you would be) it would be a very short interview. You were double the legal limit and decided it was a good idea to get behind the wheel. Unless you’re claiming you were kidnapped, held down and water boarded with alcohol and then had to drive to escape, this was ALL YOU.

Adam

Just wanted to clear up. I totally understand that it was my fault and it’s not on VA job to be lenient on me for offenses I committed. I was in no way trying to make excuses for the things I did. When I said I tried to get it reduced I was specifically talking about the speeding reckless driving. I have no excuses for either but I especially have no excuse for the DUI. I apologize if I made it seem like I was trying to make up excuses. I’ve learned from the mistakes and have had no trouble since and will continue to have no trouble. I’m just trying to see if being a pilot is something I can work towards and have a chance of getting that opportunity.

@Adam

Alonso,

Getting a First class medical may be difficult as well. The AME is legally required to ask about any drug, alcohol or driving related incidents. It is a good sign that you’ve been able to put some time between you and the last offense. Without that first class medical though, you wouldn’t be able to pursue and professional flying jobs. I’d start there and then seek advice from regional airline recruiters.

Hannah

Could you see me having a current Class lll helping or make my chances any better of getting a Class l?

Alonso,

One has nothing to do with the other. You’ll need to discuss with an AME.

Adam

@LetMeFly The military medical issuances are not the same as the FAA for civilian flying. You will need to get a First Class Medical from an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME).

I will continue to try and commission but in a few years after trying to commission and still being denied. If I decide I wanted to leave the military and try to become a pilot through the civilian side. Given my history how would the chances be of getting hired? Last offense has been 3 years and the former 5 years.

Alonso,

As Hannah said you’re first obstacle would be to get your First Class Medical. I would look into that because without it you’re going nowhere.

Beyond that no one can say for certain or predict the future. Years ago a DUI was the kids of death but the pilot shortage has relaxed things to some degree at the Regional level so you may have a chance. The Majors are going to be tough. Id reach out to some Regional recruiters and ask them specifically.

Adam

Alonso,

I think you might have a shot at the regionals, the majors are very well out of the question. However, I recommend that you contact the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly.

Chris

Even if time were on my side. Say at least 10 years. Would I still have the same chances or lack thereof?

Alonso,

None of us really know. Time of course helps, but these are serious offenses and they show a pattern. It really would all depend on the hiring environment at the time, what else you can show on a resume and the interviewers themselves.

Chris

Alonso,

You really just need to focus on if you can get a first class medical. All the “ifs and when” don’t matter if you can’t get a medical. It could be a long and difficult process with the HIMS program.

If you do secure one, then you need to be okay with the idea of a career at the regionals or non-traditional flying jobs in the 135 sector. If you end up making it farther than that, great. But if you don’t want to fly at all unless you make it to a major, you might want to think long and hard before pursuing flight training.

Hannah