Pilot hairstyle

Veleshia,

From my airline’s manual:
“Hairstyle should be conservative and reflect a professional, business-like groomed appearance. The bulk or length of the hair will not interfere with the wearing of headgear. Hair will be nearly groomed and will not present in extreme, ragged, or unkempt appearance. Hair holding ornaments (barrettes, pins, clips) must be of a natural hair color or transparent and will be inconspicuously placed.”

Adam

2 Likes

Veleshia,

Our airline allows a single ponytail, single braid, or down.

Tory

1 Like

Oh okay, thank you guys. I will for sure keep that in mind. :smile:

Veleshia,

Some women chose to keep their hair styled up, much like they are required to do in the military. Bottom line, just keep it professional looking.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Chris, I understand, no messy or unkept hair. Professional hair only.

Hi, this is an interesting post and am curious if you believe other airlines will follow HA (and JetBlue?) to allow more facial hair as a Pilot in the future? I currently have a neatly trimmed goatee but understand that most airlines won’t allow them.

Adam, on a side note, I’ve played bass guitar as well over the years and was in a few bands. I also got a chance to live in the UK briefly and took my bass guitar with me - maybe we crossed paths! On a related note, when I worked at HA in 2012 (on the management side) we started “Pau Hana Fridays” at the Hawaiian Airlines lounge to feature local musicians and created a YouTube channel. Not sure if this is still happening, but we had customers tell us they would re-route their flight schedules to catch the musicians playing.

Ravi,

Sadly not much is going on entertainment wise since Covid but hopefully it will return in the future.

Very cool but I doubt it we crossed paths as I was in the UK in the early 80s and you’re probably not that old.

Not sure about the beards? Airlines like their traditions. We’ve been able to for years. I think if other carriers were going to follow they would’ve already.

Adam

Ravi,

I do not see the facial hair policies changing anytime soon. This is of course a debatable point, but airlines like their pilots to be professional looking and have a military like appearance. A goatee generally does not fit into those categories.

Chris