Piper Archer vs Cesna 172

Hello all. Hope you’re enjoying the memorial day weekend. I’ll be starting my flight training this summer at ATP in Long Beach. I’ll be going in with my Private Pilots license already in hand and doing the 100 Hr Multi. With regards to any single-engine time I’ll be doing at ATP, do I have a choice as to which plane I can fly - Cessna 172 or Piper Archer? Thanks for your response.

Marco,
Welcome! Congrats on your upcoming start date. Regarding your question, no you do not have the choice on which airplane you train in. The aircraft used depends on the location you chose for your training. Pretty much all the west coast locations use the cessnas and the east coast uses the archers.

-Hannah

1 Like

Hi Marco,

I’ve actually trained at Long Beach since last August and we only have Cessna 172’s. But not to worry, because you’ll be in the Seminole for your 100-hr Multi, your time in the single-engine will be very minimal from what I hear.

Good luck!

• Ryan
1 Like

Thanks Hannah. Have an amazing weekend :slight_smile:

Thanks Ryan. Just curious. Have an amazing weekend!

Low wings are typically much easier to fly. Better to learn in a 172 and then fly the seminole for multi. It’ll make you a better pilot! Of course just my opinion

1 Like

Hi Hannah,

I noticed that the GKY location seems to have 172s and Archers. Do students at locations with both types of aircraft remain with one model for the duration of their single engine training?

Bill

Bill,
Some locations do have different aircraft for different purposes. For instance CRG uses Cessnas for most of their training but some TAA is done in the G1000 archers so that’s why both are on the ramp. I’m not sure which is their primary training aircraft at GKY but if you’re planning on attending that location, a TC tour would answer that question!

-Hannah

I’m interested in the 100 hour multi at GKY. I’m in a different state at the moment. Otherwise I’d visit and do my intro flight there. I’m curious about this myself.

Brian,
Do you have a closer ATP location you could go to for a tour and intro flight? What specific questions do you have on the 100 hr program?

-Hannah

Hannah,

If I wanted to I could go to either TIW or PAE. Both are commute distance from where I am. But, nearest center that offers 100 multi is IWA. I have family in Scottsdale and I was planning on going down there in August. I may try to visit IWA while I’m there.

My question was specifically regarding GKY. I’m hoping to relocate to that area in the fall. I was wondering what aircraft I’d fly for the single engine phase since they have both C172s and Archers. If it was one or the other or both.

Brian,
You can call the admissions department to ask that specific question. I don’t know off the top of my head but they would. You definitely won’t use both for safety reasons. Switching back and forth using different checklists and procedures while trying to learn isn’t ideal.
The reason they have both at a location is more than likely for TAA. So the one with the G1000 is probably for that where the G500 equipped aircraft will be used for the everyday training. A few locations in TX get the opportunity to do all their training in G1000 archers so maybe that could be one of them.

-Hannah

Hannah,
The safety issues you mentioned make sense. I forgot about TAA. I guess I’ll give them a call and take a look when I get down there. Thanks for the info.