Places of schooling

So is it the same for this field as culinary, in that saying I went to a certain type or the name of my college can hold weight with some ppl? Or is it more just about what licencing you have and what airlines you have worked for?

Good question and the answer is yes and no. Please know this is in NO WAY a sales pitch but that was one of my deciding factors in choosing ATP as my flight school. Not so much to “hold weight” but because I had heard about them from a few pilots and all had very positive things to say. Once I actually interviewed I did see where you trained was definitely factored in. In today’s environment if you’ve got the licenses, ratings and time you’re going to get hired, but to this day I’m often asked where I did my training and I’m always proud (and always get a good response) when I say ATP.

Matthew,

Something to keep in mind is that regular colleges and universities perform their own teaching and their own evaluation of their students. I graduated from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia, during my four years there every test I took was an ODU test. I think we can all agree that there was probably a large difference between my biology final at ODU and a biology final at Harvard. So in the world of traditional schools, yes the college/university can make a huge difference.

With flight schools the situation is a little different as all students take a check ride from an FAA examiner to actually earn their license. Different schools might have different ways of preparing the students and some are better than others, but at the end of the day every pilot out there has taken a check ride with the FAA, we all met the same standards.

What I recommend looking for is a school that has been around for many years and has a proven track record of students being hired at the airlines. At the end of the day, that is the true measure of the success of a flight school.

Chris

Huh, thank you very much that is a good point.

Any time. Keep posting your questions as you think of them.