Predict training?

Hi everybody,

I am a Frenchman of 25 years old. I am in a relationship with an American since some time, so I think I will come to the USA in two years to settle down.

I have three questions to you.

A good idea to already start my PPL here in France? could it save me time on my training in the USA?

My dream is not the majors directly (although I will love it) but I see myself more in a airlines like Frontier, Spirit or JetBlue. Is it achievable by starting at 28 my training?

Any idea if I can start my training from Europe?



Of course if you start your training in France you’ll save time. Just know when you get to the US you’ll have to do a license conversion with the FAA.

Whether it be your dream or not no one goes directly to a US Major or even to any of the LCCs you mention. You first have to get trained, then build the required 1500hrs, then go to a Regional and then perhaps you can move on to one of the LCCs.

You ask about starting your PPL in France so clearly you can start your training in Europe.

I recommend you visit our FAQ section as that will answer most of your questions.



Thanks for your reply.
Yes indeed, I forgot to speak about Regionals and Instructions… Lol i’m sorry.
Do my hours will count in US? If yes, my best option can be to pass my PPL here and fly to gain more hours


Starting your PPL in France will save time, but I’m not sure it will save you money.

In order to convert your foreign license, you need to meet all of the PPL requirements spelled out by the FAA. Not all of your training may transfer over, requiring you to do more training to fulfill the FAA requirements. Also, to convert your license, you have to take the PPL check ride in the states, which again, adds to your costs. Perhaps you can discuss your options with your CFI in France. If they are familiar with the FAA’s requirements, they can prepare you for a more seamless transition.



If your goal is to fly in the US, I would complete all of your training here. The conversion process can be difficult and take time and yet more money.

Your age is not an issue, check out the FAQ section for more on that.


Thanks guys!
I do not really know if it’s better for me to do my private pilot in the United States because it’s cheaper in France I would have about 6,000$ for my PPL 50h next to my home so it would allow me to fly and continue my training before arriving. Are my hours in France counted in the United States?

I am originally from France and currently live in the US, so allow me to chime in :slight_smile: . I got my Private in France while I was still in college and completed my Instrument, Commercial and CFI here in the US. Given your current situation and access to a flight school near you, I would absolutely recommend that you complete your PPL in France.

The conversion process to obtain a FAA Private Pilot Certificate on the basis of your EASA licence is actually pretty straightforward. Yes, it is a lot of paperwork, background checks, fees to be paid, etc. but at the end of the day, it will consist of a visit to your local FSDO once you arrive in the US and the successful completion of a Flight Review with a CFI. When I went through the process for my conversion, my CFI and I essentially did a very thorough flight review to make sure I was comfortable and safe flying in the US. We did a few flights together to cover most of the Private ACS (PTS at the time), including one cross-country to make sure I was comfortable with class C operations and flight following.

The one thing that you might find difficult when you start flying here is radio communications. Things work pretty differently here compared to France, and the pace can be hard to keep up with at first. The best advice I have for you is to listen to as much LiveATC as you possibly can. This will make the transition a lot easier.

Once you get your FAA Private Pilot Certificate issued on the basis of your foreign licence, you will be able to continue training in the US for your Instrument and Commercial. Once you have your Commercial, that will be your standalone FAA certificate. You will now have a FAA Commercial, and a EASA PPL. Pretty cool! But of course, there is a lot of work be done in order to get there. :wink:

For more info on the conversion process, refer to 14 CFR 61.75:

Also once you have your EASA PPL, you will need to work with the FAA to have them verify the authenticity of your licence. See this link:

Hope this helps!


Thank you Antoine!

And yes LG your 50hrs will count. Only 1450 more to go :wink: