Preparing during college

Hey, Im a sophomore at the University of Alabama, and I am very interested in becoming a commercial pilot and eventually work my way up to becoming a captain. I want to know, what can I do to fully prepare myself before I start ATP flight school when I graduate? and if I meet all my requirements is it a guarantee approval to make it to ATP flight school?

Peter,

The best thing you can do right now is focus on your college studies. Major airlines will ask to see your GPA and a poor one can impact your career.

As long as you meet ATPs entry requirements (and can secure funding) you will be accepted.

Adam

1 Like

Peter,

I am with Adam here. Every airline will ask for your college GPA, the higher yours is the better. I know you want to start focusing on flying, but it really is best to focus on the subjects at hand first.

If you do have time in the summer: Get Ahead By Taking FAA Knowledge Tests Before Starting ATP / ATP Flight School

Remember that written tests results are only valid for two years.

Chris

1 Like

Peter,

Enjoy college! Get good grades, create good study habits and workload management techniques. All of those will help you be successful in the program. Once you get in your spring semester before graduating, you can start the steps for enrollment and think about working on a few written exams in the gap time before you start!

Hannah

Peter,

Welcome to the forum, as the others mentioned the best thing right now is to focus and get good grades in college. Finishing strong and with a degree should be the focus. Within your last semester you will want to start the enrollment process and securing a class date as they fill fast at ATP. Airman Knowledge Tests are valid for 24 months, so you don’t want to take them ‘too’ soon; I like to recommend starting them about 6-9 months from start date if you can. That will be plenty of time to complete them and get ahead. Other than that, focus on college, get good grades, maybe take an introductory flight at a local flight school or few lessons and make sure that flying is something you think you can take up… and then when the time is right, apply and enroll.

Brady