Preparing to Register ATP

Hi everyone,
My name is Tri and I am 22 year young. I am finishing up my bachelor’s degree in June and planning on working for about a year to pay off my current debt before attend ATP. My questions are:

1. What is the general requirement for First Class Medial Certificate? Like: height and vision (can u wear glasses or contacts?)
  2. What should I do within that 1 year to better prepare myself? read, video, simulator…
  3. 40hr versus 100hr of multi engine?
  4. When is a good time to enroll? Start in the summer? (Portland, Oregon/ Seattle, Washington known for raining starting October)
    It would be very helpful if you can include resources with your answers. For question 2, if you recommended to read then what to read and where? Or simulator, which model?

Thank you very much!

Tri,

Welcome to the forums, let’s get to your questions.

1. For a first class medical certificate, you essentially need to be in good health with no major issues. There are no height and weight requirements per se, but for ATP you will need to weight less than 250 lbs. Glasses or contacts are okay, as long as your vision can be corrected to 20/20.

2. About six months prior to your start date, I would begin studying for and taking your written exams. I would not do it any sooner than that, because the exam results are only valid for 24 months. You can find detailed information about this on ATP’s website. I would not spend any money on simulators, I am not a fan of them at all.

3. If you plan on instructing for ATP to build your hours (you should be) then I absolutely recommend the 40 hour program. If you do not intend on instructing for ATP, then you might want to do the 100 hour program as multi-time can be hard to come by elsewhere. Either way, the training and the licenses are exactly the same.

4. I would start at the time that is most convenient for you. It is a nine month program and you will touch on all four seasons during that time period regardless of when you start. Much of the instruction is done in a classroom or in the simulator, so the weather is not as big of factor as you might think it is.

I hope this helps, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you Chris, its very helpful.

In order to study for exams, I need to enroll to have access to the readings right?

Except for the PPL, you can use Sporty’s Study Buddy which is free.

Adam

To take advantage of ATP’s study material, you will need to enroll. You can purchase the material outside of ATP though.

Chris,
When you say “About six months prior to your start date, I would begin studying for and taking your written exams.” do you mean we should study and take the written exams before joining atp?

Taj,

Taking your written exams prior to your start date is optional. Details are
on the website.
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

Yes, I absolutely mean that. It is covered in-depth on ATP’s website.

THanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like