Private Jet Firms Hiring Pilots During Downturn

The article should also point out that many of these private companies prefer to hire new pilots, as opposed to furloughed airline pilots, as they know the new guys will stick around longer, have less attitude, and not be chomping at the bit to return to their airline as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Chris, do you know what these companies typically look for when it comes to hours or job experience? It’s interesting that they prefer to hire new pilots but I would assume they would have a minimum hour requirement, just curious if you have any insight.

TJ,

In my experience it varies considerably based on equipment and often insurance requirements. Bottomline there are jobs out there, it’s a matter of doing some hunting.

Adam

TJ,

As Adam said, it can really vary greatly. Many of the company prefer to hire new pilots if they are looking for First Officers and more experienced pilots if hiring Captains. It also depends on if it is a well established company with a flight department, like Norfolk Southern, or a smaller operations. There are definitely jobs to be had.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Great to hear that many private aviation companies prefer to hire new pilots. I am curious whether in your view that also includes older, second-career new pilots?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron,

I’m sure Chris will chime in but I don’t see why not? First again they’ve got a better chance of holding on to you longer since you career projections might not be as lucrative as the young guys going to a Major. Second the fact is most passengers like looking up front and seeing someone with the look of experience (even if it’s just appearance). This was a second (actual more like 5th) career for me and being older I can’t tell you how many times passengers have glanced up front, see my 12yo FO and freak a little. They then see me and my salt and pepper and you can literally hear a sigh of relief :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Aaron,

We live in an era where age discrimination is rightly a thing of the past. I do not see age or second career being a detriment to being hired at a corporate operator. In fact, it could be a benefit for some of the reasons that Adam described.

Chris

Great to hear! Thank you for the quick responses, as always.