Professional pilot program

So my question is is that universities such as Kansas state university who offers a bachelors degree through their professional pilot program, allow you to obtain all the training and flight hours while earning a bachelors degree allowing pilots that graduate from K-State go straight to flying with airlines, with the understanding of starting regional and working your way up to major airlines is this something the majors will consider as a bachelors degree so I can check that box off??? You know kill two birds with one stone, I obtain a bachelors degree while accumulating the minimum required flight experience required…or do I need to get an different bachelors degree and then go to a separate flight school?

Looking at the program… specifically this sheet - http://polytechnic.k-state.edu/documents/campus-resources/fiscal/tuitionfees/K-State_Aviation_CostSheet.pdf

The hours add up to 225…looks like Kansas State qualified for the 1000 restricted ATP which is pretty awesome, but where are the other 775 hours going to come from? https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/jul13/faarule72413.html

Yea… not quite. While KSU Professional Pilot program will allow you to get your Commercial pilot’s license, you’re not going straight from the University to the airlines. Not even close. The regs require ALL airline pilots to have either an ATP or an R-ATP. By graduating from the program you’d be able to obtain your R-ATP with 1,000hrs you’re going to graduate with around 200, meaning AFTER you graduate you’ll need to build that time somehow? The most common route is flight instructing BUT that’s an “extra”. Additionally the cost they quote is based on the FAA mins which rarely happens with the average student requiring as much as 50% more. Finally while the Majors don’t care what your degree is in, if for some reason flying doesn’t work out there’s not much you can do with a Professional Pilot degree.

I’m not saying the University route is a bad way to go. But you need to know the facts.

Adam

Keep in mind, the majors don’t require pilots to earn their degrees in an aviation related field. The degree can be in anything which is what I would recommend doing in case you need that degree to fall back on for whatever reason.

Tory

1 Like

hello tory,
was reading the forum wanted to ask, does the school provide everything to work to fly for an company or do i have to earn a college degree first before i start .

Antwan,

Please check out the FAQ section as your question is addressed there.

Chris

Antwan,

Not sure I understand the question. If you’re concerned about a degree, only major airlines require them. Can you give us more background info?

Tory

Antwan,

You don’t need a degree to fly for a Regional but the Majors do want one. After you’re done with the training you will need to build the required 1500hrs to fly for an airline. That’s usually accomplished by flight instructing.

Adam

no i didn’t apply yet