Progress in training so far

Well, I had to put my training on pause due to constant delays. I ended up going to Blue Line Aviation in Smithfield NC over ATP (big mistake, lesson learned,) and wanted to advise anybody who was considering doing the same to not. I realize I’ve opened myself up to being told “I told you so,” and I accept that responsibility and own it.

As far as where I am in training, I just passed my Commercial check ride so that’s good! I’m 2 for 3 on check rides so far (busted instrument on the ground on a fuel recalculation scenario.) Learned a lesson there on the importance of understanding nav logs and actually using them even if digitally generated on Foreflight during the actual flight itself.

It was supposed to be a 5.5 month program, and it took 8 months to get to where I am now despite having all 6 written completed prior to starting. I ended up having to return to work to straighten up my finances, as I had a limited amount of money saved for living on to attend this program. With the state of the inflation and being several months behind, it’s no surprise I ran out of money.

Since the funding is secured, I plan on returning and finishing the multi add on in about 6 months since it’s so short. From there though, I’ll probably look at other time building opportunities as I can’t see myself taking another 3 instructor check rides with Blue Line.

The worst part, is that it will end up costing me $92,000 for Private, Instrument, Commercial, and Commercial Multi because of Blue Line’s atrocious refund policy.

I’m grateful for what I’ve achieved and where I am so far. However, there’s a few lessons to take away from my mistakes that I thought were worth sharing. Firstly, I fell for Blue Line’s marketing of them being a more efficient and better organized accelerated program than ATP. Just go with the guys that have been doing this for decades.

Second, the contract that you sign wherever you go is binding. I expected Blue Line to do the right thing since the delays were their fault. This was very naive of me and despite advertising themselves as a company of high moral character, they seem to have no problem screwing over the customers that chose to do their training with them. The delays are a big deal when you’re an out of state student like me. Once they have your money, you aren’t getting it back. On that basis alone, ATP’s refund policy is much better if you have to end training for one reason or another.

Thank you mentors and everybody else who contributes to this forum on a daily basis. We have an incredible community here and this has been a valuable resource for me personally. I plan to continue to stick around and update/reply and help out where I can. If you have any questions or want more specifics on my story, I’d be more than happy to elaborate. Hope everybody had a fantastic Easter weekend.

Best wishes to all of you,
Robin Graham

Robin,

No one is going to say they “told you so” (at least I won’t). You made, what you believed, would be the best decision and unfortunately it didn’t really pan out (but hopefully it will in the end).

What I will say is this is the #1 reason we mentors do what we do. We’ve been here for a while and so had ATP. We never say ATP is the only route and they’re are of course good and bad schools out there. With that in mind there’s something to be said for having a 35yr+ track record.

Hopefully things will go smother for you moving forward.

Good luck

Adam

2 Likes

Robin,

I am sorry that you had that experience and commend you for being able to talk about it. Keep grinding it out, you will get there sooner or later and I can assure you, it is worth it!

Chris

1 Like

Robin,

This is sad to hear from multitude of paths, I’m sorry to hear you’re in this position. What I recommend doing is keep your head high and continue pushing through these adversities. Training is not easy, if it was anyone and everyone could be a pilot - continue working hard and you will be rewarded. I will leave you with this quote as you continue on your training:

It is your reaction to adversity, not the adversity itself, that determines how your life’s story will develop. ~ Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Brady

1 Like

Hi Robin - Can you elaborate on some of the timing delays you encountered with BlueLine?

Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here. I hate that you’re going through that but appreciate you opening up so others can learn from it.

Since you’re behind time and budget, finding low-time gigs with just the commercial multi is a good plan. A CFI is great to have but if you can get a job flying pipeline in a twin, all multi engine XC IFR time, that’s a great alternative. You may be able to work on your CFI later with some spare time/income.

Keep us updated on your journey. It will all be worth it. Trust us on that.

Hannah