Putting flight training on hold

I just turned 17, I am currently in high school graduating next week, I am also working full time. I started my flight training about 2 months ago Im at about 8 hours since im only flying once a week right now. Im paying for this on my own and as I go. I won’t have a ride for my flight lessons anymore or for work so I’m trying to save for a car but its impossible because flying is expensive. Would it be a good idea to place my flight training on hold for about 3 months? I don’t want to loose all of my progress.

Delia,

Yes, I would absolutely place your flight training on hold. Eight hours in two months is not nearly consistent enough to make any progress at all. The military, airlines, and large flight school all train their pilots by having them train everyday, this way the next day builds upon the last. With flying as infrequently as you are, you are most likely spending significant time relearning what you had worked on the day before.

I personally would suggest waiting until you can commit yourself to a full time training program, meaning being able to fly several times per week.

Chris

Delia,

I’m with Chris on this one. Honestly unless you can commit to 2 lessons a week (3 is better) you’re really wasting your time and money. Successful flight training is dependant on consistent training which is why the airlines and the military train their pilots daily and there’s no way around that. If you’re goal is to fly for an airline you’ve got plenty of time.

While I appreciate you’re anxious, inconsistent training will only result in frustration and a waste of your money.

Adam

Thanks Adam and Chris I think it’s best if I put my training on hold then. I don’t want to let my instructor down but consistency is important.

Delia,

I admire your being considerate of your instructor but as we’re all aware flight training is expensive and on this matter you need to be more concerned with what’s best for you.

Adam

You’re totally right, this was very helpful. Thanks Adam.