Qualifying 121 time

A question for you FAR fans… I see that several regionals are offering great pay/bonuses for those with qualifying 121 time. I was wondering if Cape Air PIC time counted toward that total. It’s 135 multi commuter time (ATP required for PIC), so I believe it qualifies under 121.436, but I wasn’t sure.

I do understand that even if the time does count, it may not be competitive in the hiring market now, or in 5 years (no turbine time?), and that applying for an FO seat at an LCC may be a better path.

Nacio,

My understanding is yes, if you have your ATP the hours can be used towards 121 hours required for upgrade (that’s no guarantee the airline will allow it).

That said (and this is one of my many pet peeves), this is one of those situations when I need to ask just because you can, does that mean you should? This is a serious job with serious responsibilities and there’s a HUGE difference between flying a piston twin and a turbine jet. This is the intent of the 1,000 121 time requirement. It’s to give you experience in an operation before you’re in the left seat making command decisions. Now if you feel it’s appropriate to use a loophole so you can get paid, that’s your decision, but there are people who are literally putting their lives in your hands and that should be part of your decision.

Adam

Hi Adam - I totally understand your point about safety and agree that skipping any turbine experience is probably a bad idea. However, I see a situation where I could gain experience as an FO, and upgrade whenever I felt like I had enough training and hours to safely operate as PIC. It could be 500 or 800…or 2000 hours. Would that be a reasonable scenario? (If the airlines allow). I just think it could be very advantageous to have the flexibility to upgrade at any point, especially if there’s another shortage of qualified regional captains.

Nacio,

That’s up to you but your original post was about using the time to cash in on the hiring bonuses, not so you could have flexibility.

Adam