Real Answers from Real Pilots

Quality Family Time in STS

One of the things that I love most about flying for Horizon is being so close to family.

I had a 3 hour sit in STS on Friday. STS is kind of a strange place to have such a long break, but I thought, “You know what? I’m going to see what my brother’s family is up to today.” My brother’s family lives an hour north. Sure enough, when I turn my phone back on after securing the aircraft I get a text from my brother, “40 minutes out.”

After we enjoyed lunch at the airport, I bumped into the the local Jet Center’s Supervisor. I introduced myself and my family and asked where we could hang out to spectate since the tower wasn’t allowing tower tours. She was kind enough to give us access to the Jet Center’s patio. I think my brother loved it as much as my nephew :grin:

We watched several GA aircraft practice pattern work, we saw an air ambulance helicopter conduct training exercises (pretty cool to see two people being transported across the airport as they swung from their harnesses). And we also saw a few business jets.

My nephew said, “I’ve never seen one from this close before,” as a Citation X was marshaled to the nearest parking spot, front and center. As the passengers deplaned and walked 10 feet into their Mercedes I could see the amazement in my brother’s eyes. I leaned over and said, “Yep. People really do travel like this.”

After that we hugged and said our goodbyes. My crew and I were off to SEA to end our 4-day long trip.

My wife and son picked me up from the airport, stopped by Chik-fil-a (@BFries) on the way home. And it took us no more than 30 minutes to get home. Now, I get to enjoy 4 full days off with my wife and son.

This story reminds me of why I decided to become a pilot. Not only is what we do super fun, but it also lends itself to a pretty cool lifestyle, one that I always enjoy sharing with my friends and family as much as I can.

Tory

8 Likes