Question about Horizon Air

Hello all,

I am starting to put the pieces together to start ATP in the near future and was looking around at Horizon as a possible regional to apply to when i get to that point, I noticed the large fleet of Q400s that Horizon flies and wondered if I got placed there would it effect me as far as moving up to a major at some point in my career since it is a turboprop and not a jet?

Much Thanks,

Tyler

Hello Tyler,

That is a common misconception. Flying a Q400 will in no way affect your
chances of getting hired at a major. Yes, it is a turboprop, but the
turbine engines allow you to log the same turbine time in your logbook.

Tory

1 Like

Oh okay, Thank you Tory.

Tyler

1 Like

Tyler,

Don’t get me wrong, Horizon is a great place, but if I had my choice I would always prefer to fly a jet over a prop. Bottom line is that none of the majors fly props, so it is best to fly the same kinds of airplanes that the majors do. Now, you will hear dissenting opinions on this, but this is what I think.

Chris

Oh, I feel like when I get to that point I would prefer a jet, the question was more along the lines of a if i got a position at Horizon, if i got placed in the Q400 how much would it hinder my progression. Thank you very much for your opinion on the matter Chris.

Much Thanks,

Tyler

Tyler,

I think that it hinders career progression. As you can tell by Tory’s response, many people do not think that.

“The truth is out there…”

X-Files quote for all you youngins’ out there.

Chris

Tyler,

I’m going to break the tie and go with Tori on this one. I know plenty of pilots who only had turbo prop time and had no issues. Chris is just angry when pilots say “Beta” he doesn’t know what they’re talking about :slight_smile:

Adam

2 Likes

Props are for boats.

5 Likes

Thank you all, everyone’s thoughts helped out a lot!

Tyler

And jets are for hot tubs :sunglasses:

5 Likes