Ready to get started!

Hello everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask for any last minute tips and insight going into the program. The forum seems like a great resource and I’m definitely looking forward to using it as I progress!

So just a little bit about me…I’m Matt, 29 from Columbus Ohio. Grew up always wanting to be a pilot like my Dad an AA A320 Captain (Former US Airways) but two bankruptcies when I was growing up soured my view on aviation and I decided to go another path for a career. (Kinda has a way of doing that!) I was able to solo my late grandfathers plane when I was 18. However, not long after my actual left seat flying pretty much stopped as I moved away for college, got married, etc.

Fast forward to this year and I realized that being a PGA Golf Professional in retail wasn’t going to make me happy for the rest of my life and started on my journey to this point! Actually got to land at Oshkosh (green dot!) and got to talk to many ATP alums at the regional airlines booths and I was hooked! Came back and quit my job. (have I mentioned how amazing my wife is??) Just finished up my private with my Dad as my CFI, passed my checkride this Wednesday :+1: and starting at ATP Charlotte December 11th for my instrument rating. My plan is to hopefully stay in CLT as a CFI in order to use my Dad’s crashpad and save $$$. PSA and Republic are where I think I’ll be interested in applying due to CMH and DAY crew bases but obviously that’s a long ways down the road.

I’m already knocking out my Intro to Instrument modules and working on studying for my instrument written, is there anything else I’m missing?

I’m really looking forward to getting started, I know it’s going to be a lot of hard work and sacrifice but I’m so excited what the future will bring!

Thanks so very much for any help or insight, and safe flying!

Matt,

Honestly it sounds like you’ve got everything covered. Enjoy your down time with your family because once you start you’ll be a ghost, or at least should be if you’re studying enough.

Adam

2 Likes

Thanks Adam and congratulations on your recent upgrade!

1 Like

Matt,

It sounds like you are all set on the right path. By the way, my father is a retired US Airways pilot, small world.

Chris

Chris,

That’s neat you followed in his footsteps as well. If he was ever PIT DC9 or 737 I’m sure they crossed paths at one point or another. I had a great experience with one of your fellow United pilots (737/CLE) as my DPE for my checkride, awesome guy and learned a few really good things!

Matt

My father was a PIT 737 instructor for many years, so I am sure their paths crossed. I remember as a kid going into the simulators in PIT and flying the 737 around.