Reconsidering Current Program

Hello Pilots.

I am currently in a University Program working on my Instrument Rating. I am only a college freshman and after a while of being in this program, I am starting to reconsider training here. Honestly, I am not a big fan of the cost and the time that it takes to get ratings here. I’m hearing from people I know at ATP who are booming through in a short amount of time. Also, the whole idea of having a backup plan is coming into play. (This is a degree only in flying)

Because the airlines like to see a 4-year degree (from what I’ve heard), I am definitely going to stay in college and get a degree. Just trying to figure out the best way to see if I were to finish my Instrument Rating here, how I could best finish my commercial rating at maybe ATP. Or maybe do both at ATP. Maybe take a summer and do commercial? Or gap semester? I have been thinking I could double major or minor. But why do that when I can get ratings done quicker somewhere else and focus on another major here?

How long would a commercial rating usually take at ATP? Is commercial-multi more focused on multi engine training and gaining flight time rather than learning a whole new concept?

Thanks for your help!

Anirudh

Andrew,

The major airlines will most definitely want to see a four year degree, so I am glad that you plan on finishing one up.

As for ATP, they offer two starting points, zero hours or PPL. You would obviously be starting at the PPL level. If you were to complete your instrument, you would still start at the private pilot point and pay the same tuition. In other words, if you plan on going to ATP, I would stop all training at your school now.

ATP does not offer ad-hoc training though, so once you start the six month program, you would need to go all the way through, there is no splitting it up or taking some checkrides at one school and some at another. That is the reason that ATP works, because it offers daily training and constantly is building on skills learned, with no large gaps in training.

Check out the program here: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/

Chris

Andrew,

All of the information you need to answer your questions is either on this forum or on ATP’s website or both. Part of being a pilot is being resourceful. You need to start doing your own homework.

Tory

Hello Pilots,

Thank you for your advice. I will consider all options.

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris