Regional Airline Training

I’ve heard from many pilots that airline training can be very difficult. I’m currently building time as a CFI. Is there anything I can study up on to be prepared for regional airline training assuming I am lucky enough to be hired? Looking for ways to shallow the learning curve when jumping from 5 seaters to jets. Also any other things to really stay sharp on to help me as an airline pilot?

Andrew,

Best advice I can give you is simply to maintain your flying skills, particularly your instrument skills and procedures. The airline that hires you does so with the assumption that you’re a well trained skilled Commercial/Instrument pilot. The focus will purely be on teaching you the systems and procedures for your new airplane. If you’re lacking or have become complacent on your basic flying skills and instrument procedures you’re sunk.

Beyond that the ATP-CTP course provided as part of your program is invaluable. It’ll give you window into what to expect as well as give you an overview of the systems you’ll be working with. Take it VERY seriously.

Do that and be prepared to work harder than you ever had and you’ll be fine.

Adam

2 Likes

Andrew,

If you are a CFI at a small school, you probably do not have many instrument students. My advice would be to really stay on top of your instrument skills and knowledge as they can quickly erode. Also, As Adam said, make sure to really pay attention to the ATP-CTP course.

Chris

1 Like

Andrew,
Keeping your instrument knowledge strong is huge. If you have the ability to spend time in a TAA plane (one with autopilot), that would be to your advantage as well. As for study material, ASA has a great ATP oral prep book I read to introduce turbine systems, performance (V1, V2, Vt calculations and what they implicate) and plenty of other great topics all with the FAA textbook sources listed.

-Hannah

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I’ll be sure to stay sharp on those things

Andrew,

Like the others have said, your instrument skills are key.

Since you won’t received any training material until you are hired, the best advice I have is to find a mentor at the airline that hires you. The airline may already have a mentorship program. If not, ask around and I’m sure you find someone if not several. In fact, the more feedback you can gather from multiple pilots the better. They each will have a different take on how to best prepare and to maximize your study time.

Tory

1 Like

Overall you want to “keep your flight chops sharp”, because that’s what’s good pilot and CFI does.

When you’re applying look into asking pilots and recruiters if they know of any study guides for their particular process. The airline sometimes even sends you one.

I know mine included knowing how a turbine engine works and being able to draw it, knowing a AMEL systems (I believe it was hydraulic or electrical) that I had flown, read Jepp charts, write word for word a 121 weather regulation, and more (my buddy had to explain how an the172 engine works from turning the key to the prop spinning… including all the parts in an alternator (The recruiter knew his brother so I think he might have just been giving him a hard time, he passed).

So study broadly for the ATP-CTP and then narrow your focus once you have interviews in the near future.

Chris F